Wells Fargo, who preyed on black borrowers, sponsors Black Lives Matter luncheon

[Read the post]

Itā€™s frequently hard to determine if an organization has actually undergone remorse, or if they are simply spin doctoring. In this instance, my Magic 8-Ball says ā€œSigns point to ā€˜noā€™ā€.

10 Likes

Itā€™s a bank. If they donā€™t think it will make money they wonā€™t do it.

4 Likes

This is a wonderful thing, right? Because weā€™re going to encourage banks to make amends, and not refuse to take their sponsorship, right?

Theyā€™re giving back to the community! Think of the fractional hit to dividends the investors are taking for this minor expense! Is nothing good enough for you people?

4 Likes

Isnā€™t even lip service better than nothing? Iā€™m not saying we should congratulate them, but it feels weird when people target companies that are doing minimal good rather than companies not doing any good at all.

I mean, Iā€™m not a minority. Iā€™m essentially as majority as you get (upper-middle class white male) maybe this makes more sense to people actually affected by it, but this feels superā€¦anti-effective?

Yeah, my first thought too. I would like to believe they are turning over a new leaf and trying to make amends, but then I would also like to believe in Santa Claus too.

4 Likes

No.

(Post must be at least six characters.)

5 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

So you would prefer a company that did not benefit these groups at all or continued to cause issues for them compared to a company that may be doing it for personal gain?

That is the definition of lip service, no benefit, all talk. The choice between nothing and nothing isnā€™t a choice. It seems to me WF is getting the only benefit.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a clue: Remorse is an emotion. Corporations do not have emotions.

But itā€™s a good point. Are they trying to make amends, or just appear to make amends?

3 Likes

We are what we do. Or as Kurt Vonnegut wrote in Mother Night, we are what we pretend to be.

4 Likes

Yep. Like Deray McKesson pretending heā€™s an integral part of the Black Lives Matter movement (instead of self-serving corporate shill). But hey, heā€™s a black face in a trademark puffy vest, so most people will buy it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to go with ā€œApproximately as sincere as McDonaldā€™sā€™ claim to be nourishing the black community like the baobob treeā€ on this one(yes, they actually did this; yes, itā€™s a wayback machine link because it didnā€™t go over so well.)

4 Likes

So the talk being sponsored isnā€™t a benefit? This talk is not beneficial if it wasnā€™t hosted by WF?

Money matters.

2 Likes

In the long term, no, that association will likely be a hindrance and not a benefit. It tends to go something like this:

1. donate money
  2. get a voice in the ear of those in charge
  3. donate more money
  4. get more of a voice and start making suggestions
  5. give money when they need it, get them to start relying on your money - after all, look at how much more ā€œgood you can do if you take my moneyā€ (oh, and do this one not-so-bad thing for me while youā€™re at it - I mean, Iā€™m not asking all that much and Iā€™ve already given you so muchā€¦)
    yadda-yadda-yadda
  6. a formerly well intentioned endeavor is now a mouth piece wholly owned by the man with the money.

edit: #'s got wonky - need to look at the formatting guide again cuz it didnā€™t do what I thought it would

5 Likes

Depends on which part of my nether regions is getting the lip service.

1 Like

Well, I think thatā€™s a fairly reasonable concern actually, and I think you did a decent job of portraying it. Consider me swayed.

5 Likes