Welp, the Lightyear trailer finally dropped

Originally published at: Welp, the Lightyear trailer finally dropped | Boing Boing

5 Likes

So that’s how that happened.

5 Likes

Thank you for not including Cars on this list. It’s often cited as the beginning of Pixar’s decline, but I’ve always found that argument to be classist with little more evidence given than a) NASCAR is popular with trashy people (not my opinion, but the implication of the argument) and b) they made a lot of toys from it (yeah, car toys are always really popular). Cars was really good, IMO. TBH, the first of their films that I thought was really underwhelming was Brave, even though I was extremely excited for it. The fact is that they found a formula and fell into it while cobbling a few too many Disney tropes, many of which I’m sure were thrust on them after the acquisition. I’m hoping they have a solid story and don’t lean too much on the constant, imminent peril of Toy Story 3&4 (hated ‘em!). It’s just so exhausting and lazy.

I really loved Onward. It got buried under the rubble of the early pandemic and isn’t naturally going to have the broad appeal that, say, a movie about talking cars would, but it hit all the early-Pixar bases while telling a story that, on paper is very weird (Up and Ratatouille are two great examples of them really reaching story-wise and pulling off the incredible).

Coco also seems to be massively overlooked. I have never cried as much as I did in that film. I even saw the end coming and it still absolutely gutted me.

6 Likes

Planes is not a Pixar film, it was produced by Disneytoon Studios.

9 Likes

I’d definitely add Incredibles 2 the list of cash grabs.

4 Likes

a shameless cash grab

Los Angeles Reaction GIF by WWE

I mean, that’s the reason for its existence, right?

7 Likes

Toy Story 2 & 3 were both better than they had any right to be… it may be the only trilogy I can think of that not only started strong but had two sequels that were both genuine improvements over their predecessors. Then they made Toy Story 4, which just felt kind of pointless.

7 Likes

Yeah, I liked Onward also. It was one of the first times that something very recently in “theaters” got to streaming quickly, and it was a nice thing to do with my daughter when we were waiting for the world to come back online. We shouldn’t really blame the movie for the fact that we were all seriously bummed out when we saw it.

3 Likes

I went in as a D&D loving dad with the expectation that the wizard-amongst-muggles concept + “oops, we wiped half of dad” hijinks would be funny. I walked away desperately trying not to fall apart in front of my two boys, 15 and 6, who lost their mother to cancer 4 years ago while wishing desperately that WE had a magic staff. And heartsick for the protagonist’s ending, even if his arc is to recognize what he has.

Yeah, it was good and fun and I loved the re-introduction (reDISCOVERY) of magic in an otherwise mundane world. But man, throughout were places that just fucking hurt.

12 Likes

It had its moments but, yeah, it didn’t hold a candle to its predecessor. Same with Monsters University, although the central message of that movie seemed to be “don’t be ashamed of not being the best” so that was perhaps more forgivable. Cars 3 had a similar “it’s ok to admit you’re not the best anymore” theme. I hope the Pixar folks aren’t taking that message too much to heart though.

5 Likes

Well… now that you mention it, yes please.

14 Likes

Instead of the pull-string loop he’ll strut implacably across the Old West with a hangman’s noose slung behind his back. When he says “reach for the sky!” he isn’t fucking around.

Woody Harrelson could probably pull it off.

9 Likes

I’m really, really sorry to hear that. :heart: Mothers are the pillars of society.

It seems that one of Pixar’s biggest strengths is giving emotional voice to really familiar human circumstances that are pretty much always ignored in “kids” art. The fact that it hits just as hard, if not harder for adults helps remind that we’re all still reeling from childhood trauma and the circumstances that adulthood piles onto us that keep us from coping with that trauma in healthy ways.

I hope you and the boys find the comfort you need. It sounds like they’ve got a great dad to help guide them through it.

2 Likes

Count me in the crowd that wasn’t impressed with Coco. “The Book of Life” (2014)
did a much better job with similar subject matter.

2 Likes

I know both films told similar stories but the emotional stakes in Coco were much more relatable and nuanced to me. Not a lot of family movies have dealt with themes of loss so effectively—not just the loss of family members who die unexpectedly but the slow, painful experience of watching their minds and bodies slip away with illness and age.

5 Likes

If they threw in a Clint Eastwood type as a main character, then they’d have to shut up and take my cash.

6 Likes

My grandmother was a pivotal figure in my life and, in many ways, my best friend. Consequently, Coco made me cry less than 10 minutes in when I realized where the plot was headed. I was a blubbery mess through the rest of the movie. I love that flick.

I think Cars is brilliantly structured but garners a lot of hate because of Larry the Cable Guy, honestly. Which, ya know what? Fair play.

5 Likes

Basically Doc Hollywood but if Michael J. Fox was a Corvette C6.

7 Likes

Remaking the intro to “Hang ‘em High” with Woody would be fucking spectacular.

(blurred for graphic images)

And if that sounds too far-fetched, I’m not so sure. I was astonished to note that Encanto opened exactly the same as Abre los Ojos, complete with black screen. I had to ask Mrs Peas if I heard it correctly. And yeah, it’s officially Disney, but it seems like Pixar has a longer leash. Make it happen!

2 Likes

Yeah right! Can we Kickstart this or something?