Welsh government responds in Klingon to UFO questions

Doesn’t stop it from being a vowel. But yes, it is a bit more like goo-in. Well, more like goo-een. It’s actually the Y that slips slightly because normally it should sound more like an ‘uh’ sound.

1 Like

They certainly do.

I’m not even vaguely implying ‘persecution’, but it’s disappointing that commenters at a site so focused on issues of gender, sexuality and race think it’s absolutely fine to casually mock a different minority at every opportunity. What’s next? Red-haired people? They have infinite patience with an endless stream of little jokes, too.

I wouldn’t say I’m particularly humourless, but PLEASE just give it a rest about the Welsh.

I am Welsh, and I think the Welsh language is wonderful.

But it’s also hilarious, and quite able to withstanding a few jokes. I would even go so far as to say that if you’ve grown up in Wales, you need to have a sense of humour about the place. If you took it seriously, it’d be unbearable.

This site rarely picks on the Welsh, and I have not noticed an above average incidence of Welsh-bashing by it’s commenters either.

1 Like

Was about to log in to say this - I see it so often.

It’s quite commonly used as one of those “insult the language without being too racist” kind of jokes. Full disclosure; Welshie living ~50 miles from London.

I am apparently Welsh, My parents always told me I was Irerosh sometimes Norewigen.
Is there something I should know?

Yep; done that, and as I say, I’m not totally humourless. It just grates that any and every mention of Wales or the Welsh is invariably an excuse to mock; it’s simply routine. A little gentle teasing is fine, once in a while. Just not every ****ing time.

I didn’t mean to imply otherwise, merely that for some reason I’d expected a below average incidence of casual ‘Welsh-bashing’ from BB.

Hey, nobody is making jokes on the Welsh dog thread (I think). :slight_smile:

I did wonder about deleting my first post on this thread, it was a kinda lazy joke that I regret. In my (admittedly flimsy) defence, I didn’t think it was mean spirited and I am (half) Welsh.

The Wikipedia article to which you link quotes Arika Okrent as guessing around 20 - 30 fluent speakers. (Contrast to the infographic which says ~a dozen.) I have to wonder about the use of “fluent” there. As the article points out, it’s only got about 3,000 “official” words, so by what standard is fluency being measured? I know at least a dozen people in the Chicago area that can have a conversation, albeit a limited one, in Klingon.

None of this is to say that the number of Klingon speakers outnumber Welsh speakers, of course. Esperanto on the other hand …

(Then again, I don’t have any music sung in Esperanto, a fact for which I might just be grateful.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.