Wes Anderson designed a very expensive fountain pen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/wes-anderson-designed-a-very-expensive-fountain-pen.html

3 Likes

Is it symmetrical, and does it have a dysfunctional relationship with its father?

23 Likes

You could also buy a really good fountain pen for a lot less and it would still be a conversation piece because it’s not often someone pulls out a fountain pen.

14 Likes

Hmmm, I prefer the original, the Meisterstück.

1 Like

It’s $6 on Amazon. It writes better than any of my other more expensive fountain pens and ink is equally cheap too.

The 90s transparency asthetic comes included free of charge, if you really need “something retro”.

5 Likes

Nah i’m good

13 Likes

Pros: Comes with a converter, little more than 1.50 a pen, shaped like a shark.
Cons: Will leak profusely for no rhyme or reason

5 Likes

I think that’s air pressure.

2 Likes

I love those but the blue is first to go, followed by the black and then you’re stuck with red and green forever. :sob:

5 Likes

While I appreciate the retro colors, its not for me.

Also, at $2500 they are not for me, but even if that was an affordable pen, I am meh on it.

3 Likes

I’m very happy with this one.

2 Likes

Not a fountain pen guy, nor even a pen guy (Dixon Ticonderoga is the greatest writing instrument ever conceived), but I can’t be mad at people who clearly adore a well-crafted instrument that increases their enjoyment of the activities they love. If I was a famous and well-paid film director, I would buy one just to repeatedly click the cap and hear the shooshing sound of the nib on fine paper.

4 Likes

A lot fewer people in an office setting these days, but I found a fountain pen was also a great defense against people wandering off with my pen. A lot of people don’t want to use them and find them awkward.

Similar situation with Uni Pin pens, people aren’t used to the angle you hold them at and get frustrated.

2 Likes

I find these break a lot, but maybe I’m just too hard on my pens. I got a pilot prera at JetPens years ago and it’s going strong for the price of about six of those. I figure my ham hands would have broken six preppys by now (I was breaking them every couple of months) so I come out ahead on that.

2 Likes

I’ll stick with my Parker Jotters. Fantastic style, fits my hand perfectly, and the price is right.

4 Likes

I can’t tell whether it’s for me because I haven’t seen any pictures of it capped or posted! I can’t judge a pen by only uncapped pictures. It looks like it might have a similar form factor to the Montblanc “Baby” pens. I love this super-compact style, but I get it from my Kaweco Sport, which cost about $30.

2 Likes

Sounds like it needs a retractable nib, which seals the ink in reserve, like a cork.

2 Likes

I write with Staedtler technical pens because I can really organise my thoughts while I’m cleaning up the mess.

2 Likes
8 Likes

If hear that if you were an auditor then the green would get a workout.

2 Likes