West Virginia is contagious: mass teacher walkouts in Kentucky and Oklahoma

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/02/first-we-take-virginia.html

11 Likes
4 Likes

state lawmakers passed a pension reform bill…

Good job there CNN. Gutting pensions is “reform.”

7 Likes

Sewage bill. How fitting.
:angry:

2 Likes

I love Teachers, I mean really really LOVE them.

17 Likes

@doctorow I think you accidentally swapped Kentucky for Kansas in the story title.

1 Like

Wildcat gets the goods!

Once upon a time, there was a donkey drover. Like all donkey drovers, he made his living by having the donkey carry loads of goods from one place to another. Unlike other donkey drovers, he was a businessman ahead of his time. He did a complete P&L on his business and determined that his income came from the loads that the donkey carried and his expenses were primarily feed for the beast.

Once he discovered this, he came up with a brilliant plan to maximize profits: he would increase the loads and decrease the feed, maximizing his income and minimizing his expenses. So he did. The donkey, who actually had a reasonably good gig and might even have been somewhat proud of his status, tried harder and harder to carry the growing loads and only complained a bit about the shrinking manger (which he supplemented by eating weeds where he could find them.)

The drover, reviewing his books, saw that his business was prospering. Booming, in fact. So he continued the experiment while dreaming of riches.

Until the donkey died.

10 Likes

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Therefore, it’s essential to prevent children from becoming strong.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pretzel logic moment of the day.

2 Likes

That is the crux of the logic at play here, isn’t it? Better to rule over a poor nation of illiterate, indoctrinated sheep than to try to lead a prosperous one of thinkers and dreamers. Now, where have I heard that logic before…?

1 Like

Thank you – some people mistakenly think I have a talent for it, but the reality is that it takes a great deal of hard work to stuff your brain into that shape.

3 Likes

Now, where have I heard that logic before…?

For all the times I’ve ranted about the right-wing hatred of education and for all the times I’ve quoted that passage from Milton, this is the first time I’ve put them together.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

1 Like

The%20Rock%20Maui%20GIF-downsized

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.