Wha Oh! Wha Oh! That thing you hear in everyother pop song is the Millennial Whoop

And after all these years, we never have determined who let the dogs out.

10 Likes

Just my opinion, but I think threats like global warming and terrorism seem more distant now (even if they aren’t). It’s easier to just say “yeah, there’s a lot of bad stuff in the world, and I feel kind of bad about it, but you know, Wha Oh! Wha Oh!”

2 Likes

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?
Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

What we have here is a serial offender.

10 Likes

The Millennial Whoop annoys me because it is an example of calculated whimsy.

4 Likes

He never tired to copyright it, he tried to trademark it.

/pedantry

There is a pendulum swing to these things. Sinatra swings to Beatles swings to Disco swings to Punk. Backstreet Boys swings to Nirvana. I am just glad every song doesn’t require a primal scream.

Fun fact: the origin of X in Gen X is a Roman Numeral. It’s from a book about the different generations in the USA. Those born in the 30 years before 1965 were IX. Anyone born since 1995 would have been XI.

Now where did I leave my lawn?

2 Likes

Nevertheless, I’d like to shake his hand.

3 Likes

It apparently originated as the title of a 1963 book about British teenagers, and wasn’t based on a Roman numeral- the author says:

It was partly X as in the unknown - teenagers were a mystery. It was also so shocking at the time, like an X film - because the book interviews pulled no punches

If that’s the case, the book was about early boomers. Generation X as we understand it comes from the 1991 novel of the same name by Canadian author Douglas Coupland.

1 Like

Coupland apparently appropriated the phrase from Billy Idol’s band of the same name… and Billy Idol got it from the title of the 1963 book.

That Coupland piece is surprisingly precise on what he thinks of as ‘Generation X’:

college-educated people born between 1958 and 1968 to middle and upper-middle class families.

1 Like

That explains why Good Time is my least favorite Owl City song (even including all the recent “Praise Jesus!” songs). I’m displeased an Owl City song is the poster child for a new pop cliche.
shakes cane angrily

In fairness, I should have added that every musical generation borrows from itself and its predecessors. The stuttering from “My Generation” grew out of their recording in a cold warehouse, but then started popping up in other acts like the Stones.

Which leads to something I forgot to mention… If someone has already rhymed “swagger” with “Mick Jagger,” just let them be the one. No one else has to, really.

At my campus radio station circa 1990 a DJ was going full rasta in the booth and walks out after his shift with no trace of it… and yeah, that planted to seeds of my annoyance today.

Reminds me of Tim Westwood.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Nice:

In interviews, Sacha Baron Cohen has stated that Westwood, including his fake Caribbean accent, was an inspiration for his fictional Ali G character.[30]

2 Likes

A smidge less cerebral…

Tinkywinky. "Tinkywinky!"
Dipsy. "Dipsy!"
Laalaa. "Laalaa!"
Po. "Po!"
Teletubbies. "Teletubbies!"
Say, Heeeeee-lo! “Eh-oh!”

6 Likes

Except the generation of teens being talked about in that article is years before the generally accepted start of gen x even being born.

1 Like