What a lifetime of archery does to the human body

I actually have this issue. Carrying on my right shoulder, no problem. Left, it tends to slide off. I guess I’m unbalanced.

2 Likes

Bones found on the Mary Rose were identified as archers due to their injuries from repetitive use. I read somewhere that they also had stronger, flatter radius/ulna from holding the bow but can’t find that reference now

1 Like

n00b. If I think about it for a moment, I can watch a game of Asteroids play on my mental curved glass CRT screen…

1 Like

Didn’t Sherlock Holmes study typical (for the time) characteristics of certain professions, like milkmaid’s thumb and weaver’s wrist?

1 Like

I did the same thing for myself, so I can deal with being an adult who can’t make it to the range daily (and still be able to maintain musculature to hold steady at full draw). You definitely do develop a weird assymetry, but this can be countered by doing the “weight training” with the bands on the other side…

The initial problem with my plan was that I can’t pull #50 with my left side, and even if I could, I have no form doing things the opposite of what I’ve done for about 30years. So, I’m starting by practicing pulling my kid’s bow left on alternate days. (and she’s a first grader if that tells you about what kind of bow weight she pulls.)

3 Likes

Anthropologists have studied medieval longbowmen, and found asymmetry in major skeletal features at a macroscopic level. The changes due to pulling a heavy draw bow tens or hundreds of thousands of times over decades are bone-deep.

3 Likes

I actually liked it. It was marketed as a horror film for some reason when it actually is a fairy tale.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.