What a new house in Tokyo looks like

Everyone go look at that chart with home burglary stats at 4:55. What the fuck is up with Denmark?

5 Likes

at 2:44 - does all of Japanese TV look like a 1995 web page?

and, can the toilet be flushed during a power outage?

2 Likes

One-bedroom in Boston for $650k. Yeah, right. Examples?

And then heres a nice one:

4 Likes

$400K hereabouts buys you an acre and a quarter with mature fruit trees, garage, stable, barn, large house, running water on the property… but the school system sucks.

6 Likes

Luxury. When I was a child we used to lick road wi’t tongue …

I think you probably could by that house in Seattle for 400k. You’d take some regular sized north Seattle lot and build 3-4 of them on it. It had something like 1-2 feet of space around the building, which wasn’t that big.

There are a few developments like that in Seattle, but I think they are usually much closer to downtown.

2 Likes

That just happened one block down from my house. An older condemned home was torn down and 3 or 4 of the tall boxy things were built on the single lot. They listed for 800-900k each. This is on Capital Hill.

2 Likes

I want those outdoor laundry racks and the magnetic door stops. I have a couple of indoor laundry racks I use once a week, but if course they take up floor space.

I also liked the slippers barring the way (in a friendly manner) at the beginning. I might institute that at my place.

6 Likes

It’s like there’s something rotten in that state. Hmm…

3 Likes

Curse the housing that’s not -at all- near XOXO, the Austin humidity in Japan making the house grow thorns, the backup batteries in the toilet making cleaning an extra-careful event, and the health condition (highchecker’s chin?) I’d have to make unsquandered Obamacare (MA, ASEAN, you did a thing) an easy pick. Oh an look, I’ve pulled the 5k video cut…
Also Boston not popular, just fraught and contended (not even counting Apple Maps.)

4 Likes

I live in Tokyo, and there is no way a home like that costs $400K. In central Tokyo that home would cost over $1.4 million. Perhaps they are not including the price of the land or maybe they are talking about a home in the Chiba or Saitama suburbs, but you can’t get anything like that for $400k in Tokyo.

But I agree with the larger point. Japanese homes and apartments are pretty amazing. Small, cosy and conformable.

2 Likes

Perhaps they are not including the price of the land or maybe they are talking about a home in the Chiba or Saitama suburbs, but you can’t get anything like that for $400k in Tokyo.

The video said Edogawa… so maybe? I’ve never been to that party of the city during my visits, filthy tourist that I am, but Streetview shows me some pretty typical Japanese suburbia

2 Likes

Way out of Saitama! No hot water, just the remains of a certain reactor in the S30 level. A whole 40mm between houses makes it look like a spider farm?

6 Likes

Just up your game, then. You can fit a lot of bacon, lard, and Velveeta in an 8x8 pan.

6 Likes

Ah, I missed that, Edogawa-ku is pretty far from central Tokyo and right next to Chiba. I just searched one of the local real-estate sites, and it seems that price is pretty much what you can expect in that area.

4 Likes

$400k here buys five acres fenced in, barn, outbuildings, and a four bedroom house with two bathrooms.

Some reassembly and renovation required.

6 Likes

What I’m confused about is that he says this $400K house is about $100K more expensive than what a family making the area median of $37K can afford. Okay, but how does someone making $37K afford even a $300K mortgage?

1 Like

Hmm… a 4KLD for ¥45,800,000 leaves me with several questions:

1. Where is this? In the boonies or a far suburb from a major city? The implication is Edogawa but not actually confirmed. Assuming it was, the price is a bit lower than the average here in Shinjuku (~¥50-55M) but considering that theres really nothing in Edogawa of interest and its poorly connected by trains, the discount seems hardly worth it.
  2. Does that price include the land? Note that when buying a house in Japan, the land is not automatically included in the deal. If it is in Edogawa then likely it does.
  3. What is the actual size in square meters of the floorspace? Are those four bedrooms as small as I suspect they would be?

OK that said, I really like the realtor/explainer in this video. He took the time to do this and do a very professional job even though it seems unlikely that it would result in any commission or compensation.

I’d like to note that its odd how the realtor did not point out that stackable separate clothes washer and dryers are common enough and sold at any electronics store. What is not common is a gas clothes dryer. Nearly all here are electric and take hours to dry a load.

The heated floor for the living room is a relatively new thing, probably within the last 20 years. If you have an older house you can get that installed but it means tearing up your existing floor to do so.

The tub looks pretty long but that might be a camera angle thing. Most tubs arent long enough for an adult to stretch out their legs. The bath control panel looks exactly like the one I have in my house. So nice to be able to set the temperature of the bath and shower separately and to have an auto fill level for the bath.

Kitchen seems nice enough for storage and counterspace. For those worried about the stove, thats par for the course here. You can get a large one put in after market but its not cheap.

The Guardian got something massively wrong about Japan? I’m shocked, shocked!

There’s actually a pretty active market for “pre-owned”/refurbished homes here in Tokyo. That idea of “worth nothing” is not correct.

I’ve never been able to determine if that is an urban legend or not. I’ve never met anyone here who could say that their family or a family they directly knew actually had a 100 year mortgage during the bubble era.

Yeah, Edogawa-ku is not a fashionable address. Prices are going to be much higher around Aoyama or parts of Minato-ku for example.

Usually worse.

Yes, theres a manual flush on the side. All the electronics are about spraying water at ones’s anus or vagina.

Seems to be in Edogawa-ku, but as above you can buy similar in nicer parts of Tokyo for not that much more than the asking price of this house if you know where to look.

5 Likes

SO MUCH CONTROL PANELS !
It’s not a house it’s a spaceship or some kind of transforming robot !

2 Likes