What does a $300,000 house look like around the world?

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Yeah . . . not really a fair comparison there on the cover post. The London property could be a large industrial facility, with tons of square footage and other features that would make it worth the cost if that’s what you’re looking for. I pay a reasonable amount of rent for a nice large 3BR apartment, and I pay exactly the same amount of rent for a 20x30 space in an industrial building that I use as a workshop and a (quite nice) band rehearsal space. Apples V Oranges.

1 Like

Fortunately for me, $300k buys a lot of house around here. Around 3,000 sq ft. Goes less far downtown and in the super-rich neighborhoods though.

I could buy every house on my street with that kind of cash. :smile:

10 Likes

And conversely you probably couldn’t get any house on my street in Seattle…
So yeah 3 bedrooms 1200 sqft, over 400K (per zillow anyway) and I personally think that is crazyland…

6 Likes

Suburb of SLC here.

$300K in downtown Seattle is a studio condo.

1 Like

Generic city in Los Angeles… There is a 3 bedroom 2 bath house across the street from me going for $570k right now – it is probably one of the lower priced ones… The real estate bubble in L.A. never really deflated.

Edit:
Here’s a $250k offering… Couldn’t find anything in my city that is in the $300k range other than some foreclosure auction estimates…
It looks like an apartment building that went condo.
1 bed 1 bath

This was the exterior pic.

3 Likes

a 3/2 in Los Angeles for under 6? damn

1 Like

The seller probably wouldn’t describe that as “garage.”

3 Likes

I don’t think that it was maintained very well, so will definitely be a fixer upper.

See thats what I still boggle at half a mil for a fixer upper? fuck that shit. During the bubble run up in seattle there was a lot of that and people bought it too.

1 Like

Which is also freaking crazy expensive.

Or, after you buy it and see the real state the thing is in, it can be quite a downer.

1 Like

Here in Vancouver, only 12% of sales for free-standing dwellings are for less than $1M Canadian ($760,000 US).

4 Likes

SF housing is similarly crazy. You’re lucky to get a questionable piece of dirt for 300K.

1 Like

My brother-in-law is a successful attorney in SF (think partner at a small firm) and won’t be leaving his rent-controlled apartment until someone finally decides they want to take the short-term financial hit of turning the building condo. To buy the same thing they’re renting now (a 2/1 apartment for a family of 4 with 2 young kids) is beyond what the budget would allow.

My parents just bought a 2500 sq. foot home on an acre of land in Delaware, OH for $220,000. And that was considered a bit high for the area.

A quick bike ride or drive to “downtown”. It’s adorable there.

4 Likes

You can get a tool shed in San Jose for $300k.

5 Likes

It is expensive, but places that are very desirable will always cost more. Seattle is a very fun city, lots of things to do, great restaurants, lots of natural beauty around, and lots of high-paying tech jobs. People are moving here in droves, so it’s going to cost more. shrug