What does a $300,000 house look like around the world?

only place in “dallas” you’ll find a house like that is highland park. 300k will get you alot outside of dallas county though. it’ll be some cookie-cutter lennar/toll brothers stuff with a HOA though.

1 Like

… except it’s an 800 sq. ft garage in which you can park perhaps two cars …

OK, the reason that is valued so highly is there’s permission to demolish the garage and build a house in it’s place. Could be a lucrative investment vehicle for foreign capital to help gentrify Canning Town.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/property-for-sale-in-canning-town/chpk1919347

2 Likes

Exactly my point. You’re talking about the price for a piece of PROPERTY, not a “house”. It could be any empty lot in downtown NYC, with the same square footage, and it’s probably going to be priced in 7-8 digits. The comparison of “house” to “property” isn’t valid.

Christchurch, New Zealand is an odd case following our earthquake in 2011. This left around 10,000 houses in “red zones” that have/are being demolished due to land damage too expensive to remediate. This has affected the market with prices increasing steadily ever since. US300,000 is around NZ460,000 at current exchange rates. That will buy you an entry level 3 bedroom 1 bathroom home of around 100 square metres (around 1075 square feet).

1 Like

$US 300K (£191K) will probably get you a one bedroom or studio flat (probably above a shop) about 20 miles east and west of central London

The centre of London is traditionally measured from the Eleanor Cross outside Charing Cross station (51°30′26″N 00°07′39″W).

Suburb of Portland, OR, about 1 mile from an Intel plant:

My neighbor is asking $309,000 for a three-bedroom/2.5 bath town house. It is an end unit, so there’s a bit of “yard” on back and side. Garage and balcony.

This bodes well for my not-end-unit town house. I hope to sell in about five years. (Fingers crossed, the Big One one hit first.)

Around here it’s all bout the improvements, same as anywhere. I was tempted by a 221 acre property, with a Large Yurt and Outhouse (but also a road and building site ready) for around 250,000 CAD (about 200,000 US). Another time I saw a 100 acre plot with a decent farmhouse and barn and additional smaller outbuildings for about 300,000 CAD. Those are the only ones that spring to mind.

edit: I’m in the Lanark-Frontenac area of Ontario, Canada

4 Likes

In Sydney real estate, USD$300,000 will get you a good laugh.

9 Likes

Same in Toronto, Toronto proper anyway. Friends buying there can’t spend less than half a mil to stay close to town, need more to stay in the neighbourhoods they rent in.

Yeah that is in inner Sydney. If you head out to the suburbs there are flats available in that price range, and way out west there is housing. But house pricing in Sydney is wildly inflated.

I’m about 2 hours out of the city nowadays, and there is housing around here for that money, but only just, even here. The suburb where I used to live in inner Sydney is now strictly the province of TV personalities and celebrity chefs. By all accounts it is perfectly awful.

2 Likes

I’m on the Eastside, and Zillow estimates my rental home at $550k. Which I think is a bit high, since it’s barely been touched since 1976. And it’s on a busy streetcorner, so not fantastic in terms of location.

1 Like

Yeah and that’s the other thing, move like close to work, over in Eastgate, bwahahaha. So I will keep paying the mortgage in North Seattle and hope I can go back to telecommuting before long.

2 Likes

Yeah, this makes me depressed. 300K gets you a moldy 1 bedroom apartment overlooking festering rodent dung in Vancouver where I live.

1 Like

I am not laughing at anyone in SF, London, Sydney, Moscow, NYC, etc. I lived in the bay and know how brutal it is. However, I eventually chose a different lifestyle. Don’t accuse me of being rich, I am not. But here are my two houses,one in Phoenix for $320k and one in Oregon for $170k.

And my current home

Salt in the wound? The mortgages are almost the same monthly payment.

6 Likes

A $300K house is pretty tough to find in Melbourne. You’re heading into the bottom of the barrel suburbs.

And yeah, you don’t touch the inner suburbs with less than a million,and even then…

2 Likes

Umm, I lived in Delaware OH. It is not adorable. Although there is some beautiful housing stock, it is a wasteland. There is a reason real Estate is cheap there.

1 Like

A million dollars, for a place to put your stuff.

Excuse me while I projec vom.

8 Likes

Sigh, if I could find employment, if my wife didn’t have family here, if my kids weren’t unashamed Urbanites. I’d move off to a less prestigious town.
Happily live in Tasmania or Northern Queensland, or even return to Newcastle.

But right now I’m stuck where I am with an hour drive to work every morning.

3 Likes

Toronto prices are sky high. The average price of a detatched house has hit a million. For $300US (about $400 Can), in Toronto proper, you can pretty much only afford a condo apartment – a studio condo apartment. Tear downs are selling for $800,000 in my neighbourhood. It’s nuts.

1 Like

I would say, “right of passage” or “paying your dues”, but I know way to many people in their fifties and sixties in the same situation.