What are the greatest pleasures of human existence?

Seeing something amazing and ridiculous that you built work for the first time.

5 Likes

What movie was it, maybe Little Miss Sunshine? You’d be crazy to snort heroine when you’re young. When you’re old, you’d be crazy not to

3 Likes

Build your robot. See them driven before you. Hear the machinations of their gears.

8 Likes

A cold beer in a warm shower.

Barefoot frisbee in a thunderstorm.

The subsonic waves of electric guitar amplified to the point of natural distortion.

5 Likes

Make that room temperature butter and I’m in.

2 Likes

Listening to an album you love for the 10-gazillionth time.

Going to see a live show, and the band plays the song that you love.

A well-written novel.

A well-written non-fiction book, which helps you understand the world in a new way.

Writing something and having people read it and like it.

6 Likes

Being safe and warm with a fire blazing in the grate and horrible weather outside.

2 Likes

Waaaaaaat

5 Likes

A bit antiintrospective-

The first time you step outside of reality and see something beyond what you can understand and comprehend, and have a feeling of being beyond limitation of human consciousness, or even realizing you are alive.

Terror or joy don’t occur until after you feel it, depending on what tendencies you can tolerate easier when you can suspend your own beliefs consciously. It’s the feeling in that instant. It either creates junkies, bhikkhus, or bodhisattvas.

It only happens once, and the rest of your life you seek to return to not that state, but to have that singular disconnect from reality completely- but simply knowing it can happen prevents its occurrence from ever again being achievable or possible.

It makes even the craziest sex you’ve ever had compare to eating a stale wet pretzel with no salt.

That feeling is the greatest pleasure of human existence.

5 Likes

A small pleasure

more at The Bouletcorp » 50 Shades of Plastic

6 Likes

Re-inventing “human existence” itself to mean what you choose.

2 Likes

sex
eating good food with friends/family
spending time with your children
pooping or peeing when you really have to go
spending time in nature
learning something new
sleeping in
caffeine
altered states
swimming
roller coasters
music
creating art
reading a good book

twerkbot

8 Likes

When the apocalypse comes, I’m going to trade all my horded, unpeeled stuff for food and medicine.

2 Likes

Touch of a loved one.

Of course annoyingly difficult to get.

The distant second place is understanding something. A little dose of dopamine makes the world suck less for a short while. A good documentary or a book or a project can be a good way to survive another day.

When the little stick shows a minus sign

1 Like

Maybe, but it also doesn’t seem like a very interesting answer. It’s kind of an obvious suggestion, broadly physical and so general it need not even be so pleasant. I think shaddack’s touch of a loved one comes closer to the point.

His second, coming to understand something, is what I was waiting for and so was kind of surprised to see sucking less as all the praise it earned. But thinking on it, I guess that’s sometimes all it amounts to. The greater pleasure is being taken somewhere by it – when you are able to build on it to learn more, or make something new with it, or share it with others.

It seems kind of trite to make both about sharing, but maybe it’s better to look at it as a multiplier that makes all the other things better. If I learned anything from Wall-E, it’s that that’s the best part of being around other people.

1 Like

Sex is
 Err
 I will stop there. I’ve made many others uncomfortable, but I just want to point out it isn’t even on my top ten. Intimacy? Love? Sharing? Closeness? Making your life partner happy? Yup!!

But really, what beats Stilton.

7 Likes

Oblivion.

Being.

A nice cup of tea.

4 Likes

Riding like a courier through the city, cheating death every block or two, on a state-of-the-art road bike. That’s like 8/10 for me

9/10 is downhill skiing on acid, or sex on acid. Sex while tripping should be on everyone’s bucket list, IMO.

10/10 is having my brain smashed out of my skull while on amphetamines and DMT, by a glimpse of god. Having some inkling of the vastness of our history, and how that dwindles to an infinitesimal speck against the vastness of the universe, along with some grasp of the fundamental weirdness of reality, goes a long way
 when entheogens help you synthesise everything you know in an instant, the resulting ah-ha has to be bigger than anything you’ve ever known.

6 Likes

Add a freshly rolled spliff to that and it’s a winner.

2 Likes