What Games/Gaming System to Get?

II, Brotherhood and Black Flag are the tops, open world gaming done well so it’s 90% fun and only 10% miscellaneous “other” quests/tasks.

It’s a shame they eff it up so much with games like III and Unity (I haven’t had the dubious pleasure of Unity yet…I’d been looking forward to a French Revolution game for years, and when they finally do it it’s…that :frowning:)

1 Like

I think we share a common taste in games. My favorites are post-apocalyptic, zombie, mech (done right), deep story/atmospheric, and innovative Indy games. I also have a fondness for J-RPG and turn based strategy, most of which is satisfied by playing on my iPhone/iPad.

I bought a gaming PC about two years ago, and it’s served me well - it’s not top-spec (it’s actually an XPS-13 Dell laptop) but for most things it’s been fine. Certainly for rummaging through Steam’s discount offerings and occasionally going for a AAA title. Favorites over the last couple of years;

Portal I&II
Bioshock I,II&III
Fallout III&NV
Half Life II series
Borderlands I&II
Left 4 Dead

Because of family and work obligations, of late I’ve been playing short attention-span games that I can play for 20 minutes to scratch an itch, then get back to life. For that, shooters fulfill a need;

Team Fortress 2
Hawken
The Culling

I really suck at The Culling though - I almost never win hand-to-hand, which is frustrating. I’m tempted to try Rust, though I fear it is too involved for my preferred style of gameplay. I’m really anti-crafting.

I also bought a Steam Controller specifically to pay some more console-style games like Bastion, though I haven’t been using it as much as I thought. I did enjoy using it with Jet Set Radio which was released for free on Steam recently.

I would also say that picking up a PS3 and some used games could be a very affordable way to get back in to console gaming. There were a ton of great games that could be had for next to nothing these days. Heck, I even have a few lying around that I’d give you for free. Id have to revisit that library to recommend any of them in particular though.

My handle is Quickdraw Og, whenever I’m gaming. Anyone from BB is free to friend me -I’d actually love to have more folks I could game with.

3 Likes

It’s good. Really good. And if you like it even a little, Fallout: New Vegas is even better.

3 Likes

Did Microsoft Osborne their XBones during its launch by mentioning the Scorpio at the same time?

1 Like

I don’t know your financial situation or other considerations, but on an hour-for-hour basis, it’s probably one of the best values in gaming.

1 Like

Well, even though it’s eight years old, you could easily get well over 100 hours of gameplay for the $20. My first playthrough lasted over 140 hours.

But I know, not everyone has $20 to blow.

One of the good things about Steam is IT WILL BE ON SALE. So be patient and wait.

5 Likes

Also, the GOTY edition includes all of the DLC. Broken Steel and Point Lookout were both loads of fun, Mothership Zeta was worthwhile, and I never even got around to Operation Anchorage and The Pitt. It really is a screamin’ deal.

3 Likes

Steam summer sale is next week I believe, usually older stuff like Fallout 3 and New Vegas can be all the way up to 50% off. Making it a 10 dollar game.

I do not need to know this while I am currently searching for employment. :crying_cat_face:
Then again I got a ton of stuff to play.

2 Likes

And actually works. Fallout III had so. Many. Bugs.

1 Like

I get a lot more time out of games that some, especially open world games, because I like to read everything and walk everywhere. This is why I currently have a bookshelf problem in Skyrim. (Also real life, but that’s another story.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 274 days. New replies are no longer allowed.