What happens to hotel soap

That’s good, hadn’t seen it before.
It wasn’t quite so insane, but a few years ago I was in a Holiday Inn for over a week for work, and every day they would throw away my once-used bar of soap and replace it with a new, wrapped bar. I asked them every day to stop throwing my soap away. I didn’t care if they left more, but just stop throwing mine away and making me open a new bar every day! But they never did.

1 Like

Some do, and they’re always gross and/or broken. And generally you can see the scars from at least one previous generation of dispenser which has since gone out of business or been ‘upgraded’ because the old refills are no longer available and the new ones don’t fit.

Also, liquid soap is an abomination.

Edit: liquid soap for showers is an abomination. It’s ok for washing your hands after you’ve just had a poo.

1 Like

What happens to my hotel soap? It goes in a ziplog back and I usually use it as hand soap at home.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The George Mallory of miniature toiletries. :joy:

1 Like

Powder soap, on the other hand…

I find it hard to believe this stuff doesnt have embedded hair. Inherent lack of quality control is why these recycled materials go to homeless shelters and third-world nations.

So, they explained what happens to the soap. But what about the single-serving shampoo+conditioner (and its plastic single-serving containers)?

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying. Super rare to see that in restrooms now, tho.

We replaced our liquid soap in our restrooms with small hotel bars because people were dispensing it onto the floor. We tried putting catch trays underneath, bur for some reason they kept getting kicked out of the way. People don’t like (or most probably don’t see) the little bars, so we are looking for suitable foam soap dispensers, preferably not battery operated and refillable from bulk bottles.

2 Likes

Oh god… I remember that. (memories of gas station stops on trips and super gritty soap, with blue continuous fabric roll hand dryers where the towel was always somewhat m0ist…)

2 Likes

It is easier to recycle plastic bags than treated paper (the waxy surfaced paper that the hotels probably used in the first place).

As for myself, I wrap the used soap in a tissue then put in a pocket of my suitcase. But that is only if I like the scent. It’s good to have when I find myself somewhere that only has soap I can’t stand (or no bar soap).

1 Like

I had not experienced powder soap since grade school, until it recently showed up in the restrooms of a trendy new bar in town. It’s back!

The customers think that it is “dirty” or “contaminated” if the soap is a reusable liquid soap dispenser. Source: I work for a hotel chain.

1 Like

I take it you’ve never used the bathroom at a mechanics’ or machine shop. Yes, soap can get dirty.

In fact, it’s pretty much soap’s job to get dirty. Soap doesn’t negate or remove dirt. Rinsing is what actually removes dirt, what soap does is stick to dirt (becoming dirty soap or soapy dirt, depending on how you want to think about it), and then carry the dirt along with it when you rinse the soap off.

So if you don’t rinse the bar of soap off after using it, it can totally get dirty.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.