What happens to hotel soap

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/10/how-hotels-recycle-soap.html

8 Likes

I’m glad to hear they don’t waste the leftover soap. Does this mean they can start making the bars bigger?

5 Likes

Good lord, I just assumed that they melted then down and pressed them into new bars, and that they had a little machine in the basement to do it.

9 Likes

I’m a bit disappointed that they’re using plastic bags for distribution. It would be nice if they had a fully recyclable packaging.

5 Likes

I think this is great bit I’ve always wondered why hotels don’t use liquid soap dispensers. Maybe a good reason.

5 Likes

Funny. I thought they sent all of them to my mom. I swear she has 10,000,000 bars and bottles of hotel soap and shampoo in her “travel sundries” basket.

I also think she hoards all the splenda packets from every diner in America.

23 Likes

I’ve read that more hotel chains are switching to wall-mounted, refillable soap dispensers.

16 Likes

Ha! Apparently we are siblings.

7 Likes

who remembers finding seven pillows on the bed and wondering

2 Likes

Time to post this again, then.

http://funmurphys.com/comedy/laugh1.html

5 Likes

And unused or gently used paper napkins, right?

4 Likes

Not entirely satisfying. I wanted more details on the part they glossed over, saying, “… it’s first surface-cleaned before going through a sterilization process that eliminates all pathogens.” How are they surface-cleaned? What is the sterilization process and what does that look like?

8 Likes

The video actually addresses the fact that some hotel chains are switching to bulk toiletries.

I use to have to travel a lot for work, and I’ve seen shampoo/conditioner dispensers in some hotel showers as far back as the early 2000s. I suspect the reason it’s not more common is because replacing the single-use toiletries is faster than periodically cleaning the dispensers, and hotels depend on housekeeping being able to get a lot of rooms ready in relatively short time.

5 Likes

9 Likes

It’s, um, soap, isn’t it by definition clean?
Do they clean it with more soap?

3 Likes

Plenty of soap and hot water for a minimum of 20 seconds.

8 Likes

…while humming the theme to your favourite soap opera.

3 Likes

At least in my experience (primarily UK/EU), most do. Though I tend to use ‘budget’ chains and B&Bs, not 5-star resorts. :wink:

Mine too. She takes them Because They’re There then stores them for decades. It’s like carbon sequistration, but for stearates.

7 Likes

Well, nominally clean, but lots of people might object to finding somebody else’s hair attached or embedded.

4 Likes

Disney has moved to soap dispensers for all but their high end resorts.
People would collect the ‘mickey soap’ it had a nice box with a bar embossed with a mickey…

4 Likes