What happens to returned mail-order mattresses?

You can always check to see if your area has a toy library or non profit groups that might be interested in taking used toys for low income kids.

3 Likes

But at least you get to test some side by side and form an opinion and a preference.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was thinking!

1 Like

The juxtaposition of these two posts on the BB homepage gave me the momentary terrible fear that one was the answer to the other.

12 Likes

I bought one of those vacuum packed mattresses from Ikea recently. I just loved unpacking it. A few little cuts in the plastic wrapping and suddenly my room is full of mattress.

6 Likes

We bought one of these–because we wanted to put it in the guest room when we were doing AirBnB. It allowed us to charge more for the room and the price was great.

Because Amazon lied repeatedly about the delivery time, though, we ended up moving our mattress to the guest bedroom upstairs and sleeping on the cheap delivery mattress. Which turned out to be fine.

1 Like

I did the same. I read a ton of reviews, then got a Casper, and now I’m basically a shill for the company as I f-ing hate the BS market that is a mattress store. “If you can find a lower price, we’ll beat it by 10%” they say knowing full well that that’s impossible because the name/models they stock are proprietary, even though they’re made by national brands…

Also, my memory foam mattress is comfy as F, and is a marked improvement for my mild lower back problems.

2 Likes

I had a suspicion (totally unsupported by fact) that returned mattresses were sold in bulk to hotel chains.

Oh we do donate what we can, but my kids are destructive little monsters so when they break something, it’s just a pile of unrecyclable junk. The only other thing I can do with it is put interesting pieces in the “making things box”.

1 Like

I really don’t get how people can evaluate mattresses in a store. I mean, apart from the really fun use case, unless it’s just totally wrong I won’t know till I’ve slept on it a night or three. And I’m totally not referencing that aforementioned fun use case, but mattresses perform quite differently with two humans on them.

That said, this thread just convinced me to go with Casper, as we definitely need a new mattress but neither of us can stomach the thought of that retail scene. So thanks, y’all.

1 Like

Many hotel beds are really quite good, good enough to steal:

We recently bought a (latex) mattress from a store, to replace a memory foam mattress we’ve hated for years. We bought it at the factory store, where we were able to try beds with different versions of the mattress, but also the hotel we stayed at (the store was over 2000 miles from home) had a bed from the same company. All in all an excellent experience.

1 Like

I’d recommend laying down on a memory foam mattress in a store to see if you like it. It’s a weird feel. Softer than what you’d probably be used to with a spring mattress for the same (or better) type of support. My best theory is that you don’t get pressure points or uneven support because the material will squish down, say if you’re well endowed in the rear, without pushing up in a weird way on your lower back (like a firmer spring mattress will). That being said, you can get a good feel for the type of support without sleeping on it for a few nights.

2 Likes

There"s a very good reason why you won’t find negative reviews of Casper mattresses. A bit of a long read, but a company now worth hundreds of millions can afford to sue the naysayers.
https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

4 Likes

Jeez, such delicate flowers here. “Eww”? Do you not sleep in hotels/air bnbs, etc.? Believe me, the mattresses in those places are far worse then buying a mattress that someone tried for a few nights and then passed on. It is great that there is a secondary market, because mattresses are so ludicrously overpriced. Tuft & Needle provided me with a contact at a local DC charity when I passed on their mattress.

By the way, mattresses can be donated everywhere (even MA; the Mass.gov site’s first suggestion for getting rid of mattresses is donation). This is true because (a) they are needed everywhere, and (b) there is not anything uniquely unsanitary about sleeping in the same bed that someone else once slept (or did other stuff) in. Cleaning products work and “ew” is not an actual medical condition.

2 Likes

My main problem with foam mattresses is they are just so fucking hot. I have a Tempurpedic that claims to have cooling channels that increase airflow, but every night between the memory foam and my weighted blanket it’s like sleeping inside a fucking blast furnace.

Try latex (unless you are allergic, or course). We just switched away from memory foam, the difference is night and day.

1 Like

Love the way the comments are full of people from big mattress defending the mattress makers, for their destroy the planet business model…

Not to mention my own mattress. Mistakes were made and, well, now I make sure the mattress protector is always well-seated. :nauseated_face:

Did the latex turn you nocturnal?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.