What happens when wells run dry in California's drought?

Seems this is more like what happens when you vote republican and refuse to invest in shared infrastructure.

1 Like

Hmmmm.

3 Occupiers household = 120 cubic metres of water a year.

1 cubic metre = 1000 litres = 1000Kg so a 3 occupier household uses 120,000Kg of water a year.

The Troll A platform is currently the largest offshore structure to be moved around and weighs in at 1.2 megatons with ballast. (About half that without ballast.)

An iceberg weighing the same would supply just 10 households or roughly 30 people with water for one year, if none was recycled and all the waste was just abandoned.

Buuutā€¦ California apparently loses about 863 billion litres of water from itā€™s water distribution system every year. 863 billion Kgs.

So California would only require about 720,000 icebergs of the same weight as Troll A per year to fill the gap. :stuck_out_tongue:

By my calculations that is exactly one metric shit-ton of water.

Conversely, we could drag one fucking giant ice-moon out of Saturnalian orbit and assplode it in the high atmosphere with bombs and such in order to allow it to rain down on California and have a whole years worth of water resupplied in a single trip.

Given the deep insight offered by these intriguing and accurate calculations, I can only proffer that your suggestion to get our asses to Saturn is the more realistic suggestion and doff my cap to you sir.

3 Likes

There was talk a few years ago about California building a pipeline all the way through the state to the mighty Columbia. I donā€™t know how they thought that no one would oppose that.

1 Like

In all fairnessā€¦

2 Likes

LOL, thought maybe it was a Baxter reference.

Nobody but nobody likes L.A. but the people that like L.A. and their not living in Oregon. When push comes to shove the Columbia will be drained.

Just get Sea World to train all of the California Grey Whales to tow icebergs ā€“ how much ice would a grey whale tow if a grey whale could tow ice?

4 Likes

You mixed up tonnes and kgs. 120 m^3 = 120tonnes = 1.2e8g of water, 1.2 megatonnes is 1200000 m^3 = 1.2e12g. So you get 1e4 = 10000 households for a year per iceberg, and hence you need 720 icebergs. Itā€™s still a lot, mind. But we donā€™t need icemoons. Instead I propose we make a giant sea network of plastic tubes made from saran wrap with fresh water floating inside, and connect the continents so that when there are floods in sydney and droughts in LA we can move the water across the great pacific intertide. Similarly, we could transfer water from the mouth of the amazon across to namibia. The water will be pushed through with upside down offshore wind turbines. We will then train river dolphins to swim inside and repair any damage caused by stray shipping containers using their squeekers to ultrasonicly weld the tears.

2 Likes

Is that in metric shit-tonnes or imperial shit-tons?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.