What happens when you ask British Alexa to calculate 10 to the power of 308

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/what-happens-when-you-ask-brit.html

3 Likes

You need to change your headline

10^308 is an integer, a subset of the rational numbers.

14 Likes

Looks like Siri knows how to speak wolfram alpha.

9 Likes

Sounds like a washing machine.

4 Likes

Love the way the US one gets tired of zero and reverts to ‘oh’ after a while. And the musicality of both, especially the US one around 50-60 seconds in.

5 Likes

Alexa, was it good for you?

16 Likes

Yes. I was amazed at how it varies the tone and speed to make it sound human. They should add some pauses to take a breath.

5 Likes
27 Likes

Does British Alexa really have the little flag on it to differentiate it from other Alexas?

2 Likes

Like, just to clarify “I will say Zed and not threaten my allies with trade sanctions?”

5 Likes

Google Assistant is positively lazy in comparison:

Google Photos

8 Likes

Ask Alexa to read the lyrics for “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”. The results are fun.

6 Likes

I just tried factorials. I’m pleased with the results. And that Alexa can be interrupted.

I had to try factorials because I used to have a Commodore calculator from the early 80’s (likely the SR-9190R); I bought it 'cause it had damn near every function I new about, and then some.

The factorial function was very slow. I think it maxed out at 59!, and would take almost 2 minutes to display the answer. And noticable warm up the 9-volt battery and reduce it’s life).

Sigh…

3 Likes

I kept waiting for the beat to drop.

4 Likes

Want to make it sound more human? Then your answer should be “That’s a one with 308 zeroes” in normal circumstances no human will read this all out.

5 Likes

That’s a great answer.

If you imagine Alexa as an exasperated parent of a small child, just trying to make her answer take as long as possible to delay the next question, it makes a lot of sense.

5 Likes

but did she get it right?

4 Likes

Right about now…

8 Likes

‘Entirely different experience’? I don’t think so. An entirely different experience would be the Amerikan version replying with, ‘Aw fuck off!’ or “I’m too stupid to answer that.” On another note, the British woman asking Alexa sounded almost exactly like Alexa. I had to play that part again do differentiate their voices.

5 Likes

That’s weird, it sounds like a different language, like Swahili or something.