What if all drugs were totally legal?

– Dorothy Gambrell

7 Likes

‘Because at least then they’d be quiet for five fucking minutes.’

4 Likes

The trick is to reverse it. Start with, “We demand round-the-clock, compulsory heroin for five year old children! No? Never? In that case, we will grudgingly accept recreational cannabis for adults…”

6 Likes

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together;
and a little child shall lead them.
The cow and the bear shall graze;
their young shall lie down together;
and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra,
and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder’s den.
They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain;
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.

Also, cops would have a lot less excuse to fuck with people.

5 Likes

It would be totally fucking awesome?

4 Likes

Well, anything that acts too much like an existing schedule I or II drug is also illegal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Analogue_Act

1 Like

Totally legal? As in; decriminalized? Amsterdam style?

That would be great!

1 Like

I’m not saying a straightforward solution to a fractally complex problem like this wouldn’t or couldn’t improve things overall. Just that the new problems it created wouldn’t all be predictable or necessarily small.

It’s one of these situations.

9 Likes

…which is why legalisation alone isn’t enough.

Legalise, regulate, educate.

6 Likes

I’d still consult my doctor about what would work best for me. Coke and meth would be off the table even if they handed out free samples at Costco, and there are probably others that would cause me more trouble than they’re worth.

As much as I support drug law reform and legalisation, heroin from vending machines isn’t my idea of an ideal solution.

Because it’s a dangerous substance that can easily cause death at doses not greatly in excess of the recreational dose.

Substances like that need to be controlled, and usually are.

Supply and distribution should be a matter for government, and it should come hand in hand with practical education, easy access to publically funded treatment and social acceptance.

3 Likes

If I was a sitcom character, and I had a catchphrase, it would be this song:

Someday
there’ll be a cure for pain
That’s the day
I throw my drugs away

When they find a cure for pain.

2 Likes

I’ve come to the belief that some drugs need regulation. Things you take your self to affect yourself, should be regulated for purity and dosage etc, but available for adult purchase. Taxes from these drugs should pay for addiction and other drug abuse treatments.

Antibiotics need to be tightly controlled and prescribed carefully, because of antibiotic resistance and other bad worldwide outcomes.

Drugs like Versed or rohypnol where you can easily affect others in a negative way should be controlled. This should be debated and decided by people smarter then me.

1 Like

OT, but while I was working at the archive at my uni this past year, helping to process the Grady nursing collection, I found out about this event, the “moonshine murders” as they were called:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/photo-vault-tainted-moonshine-killed-dozens-64-yea/nn7Ft/

It struck the black community the hardest. The oral history I was listening to said that they had people out in the street, ill from the moonshine.

And this is a great argument for legalization, yeah, regulation of what can be a dangerous substance if made wrong.

4 Likes

OMG, I love Dorothy! She rocks my world!

2 Likes

Highly recommended:

During Prohibition, most of the illicit booze was actually “renatured” alcohol. That is, denatured industrial alcohols (methylated spirits etc) that the bootleggers tried to filter the poison out of.

The government of the day responded to this by constantly changing and enhancing the “denaturing” poisons that were added to industrial alcohol.

Most of the Prohibition-era poisonings of drinkers were deliberately killed by government action.

12 Likes

Ack… That sounds like the hard way to go about making booze. Fermentation and distillation of grain are not exactly difficult.

5 Likes

And a lot of people too lovely for this world, including my beloved, would still be here to share their amazingness with us.

Until we unbreak the world for them, people who don’t thrive in this very mad society shouldn’t have defending their mind be a crime

9 Likes

What high-school drug safety classes should include:

“Here’s what Magic Mushrooms look like. Here’s how you tell them apart from the dangerous ones. Here’s how to set things up so as to minimise the chance of a bad trip. Here’s what to do if one of your friends is having a bad time.”

We have to get to the point where keeping kids alive is more important than trying to ensure that nobody can get high in a socially disapproved of manner.

12 Likes

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m going to Hugo, CO.

:dizzy_face: