The Economist: "Joe Biden is too timid. It is time to legalize cocaine"

Originally published at: The Economist: "Joe Biden is too timid. It is time to legalize cocaine" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Second verse, same as the first.

29 Likes

If we would just decriminalize all drugs, 90% of our criminal justice system would disappear overnight. And that would be a good thing, but it also explains why this won’t happen.

38 Likes

Not only legalize, give it to addicts and offer help, not judgment.

16 Likes

Marijuana was the obvious one, but it’s so weird to see psilocybin being set up to go next rather than cocaine. I guess all that “crack-baby” propaganda made it impossible politically? But the way people talk about the 70’s and 80’s, I would have thought there’d be a big pro-cocaine voting bloc.

5 Likes

Al Pacino Snow GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Yes, the prison-industrial system is bolstered by prohibitions, and yes, it feeds corruption. These are definitely tremendous evils.

But I think the issues around drug legalization include more than the effects on the status quo institutions, and are much more complex and nuanced than how it’s presented here.

While I am in favor of weed legalization on a Federal level (USA), we (USA) are only beginning to learn how legalizing weed impacts our society, and the outcomes are not all overwhelmingly positive.

Legalization and regulation.
Legalization and a commitment to mental health programs.
Legalization and a proper social safety net.

Legalize and also do something about the crisis of despair that leads to substance abuse and addiction.

30 Likes

Amen.

1 Like

rick james cocaine GIF

5 Likes

I was reading about what happened in Portugal after decriminalizing all drug possession, and the benefits (e.g. harm reduction) have been huge. With evidence like that, it becomes a hard position to argue against.

34 Likes

It wouldn’t really “de-fang” the cartels, though; at least in Mexico. They’ll just move onto the next exploitable resources.

17 Likes

exactly.
avocados, water, human beings

20 Likes

Don’t they already work with it?

three examples i could think of right away already being brought into the diversification of services cartels offer, so yes.

5 Likes

In Brazil, urban drug dealers still sell drugs. But they are also selling propane gas, bottled water, food and exploiting and oppressing poor comunities.

Maybe these crime cartels soon will turn into something like the Italian mafia.

6 Likes

facts facts and more facts.

1 Like

Isn’t that a conservative’s wet dream? 90% of some governmental agency disappearing? and yet…

8 Likes

Biden will get Don Jr.'s vote.

7 Likes

The Economist: “Joe Biden is too timid. It is time to legalize cocaine”

did Biden legalize marijuana? i don’t think so. it would be nice. (although some of us live in states where that’s already extant) so a bit of a conservative clickybate head-line there.

The Onion: “Joe Biden is too wimpy. It’s time to re-establish prohibition”

3 Likes

“Joe Biden is too timid. It is time to legalize cocaine”

10 Likes