What is a "Bomb Train" and why has the Trump administration legalized them?

My apartment was <2km from the explosion in Tianjin 5 years ago. Similar problem. Residents knew about the other chemicals stored there, so had reason to worry. No one was allowed to live within 3km for a long time. And I don’t know if it was luck or government censorship, but there didn’t seem any acute toxicity problems (of people, that is. 172+ died in the explosion.). I never was allowed to go back to my apartment.

6 Likes

Why can’t we just stay positive?
@moortaktheundea So, you don’t think the train tracks can support a bomb train? Like they haven’t transported a bomb train before.

When they don’t get it. Lol!

So, what do you make of hydrogen cars? If you are going to make kaboom using ambient oxidiser, hydrogen mix gives the most energy. The difference in densities with Rayleigh-Taylor instabilities will give the best mixing. The hydrogen will come out cold and may not rise fast enough. However, the same logic is what we used to get the most energy into a small box. Batteries and Musk Starships sometimes go boom because they are working close to the edge. You can’t win.

I think the real argument against these trains is they are not needed: you could ship out a gas-powered generator and export electricity when solar or wind is short.

LH2+LO2 is an awesome propellant – it’s got the greatest specific impulse possible with chemical propellants.

On the other hand, LH2 has horrible density. Methane has more hydrogen than you can get with pure hydrogen, in fact. So it’s actually less of a threat. One overlooked problem with shipping H2 is that nothin really contains it well. It diffuses through essentially everything thanks to the tiny molecules and high velocities.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.