What it's like to collectively write a novel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/what-its-like-to-collectivel.html

4 Likes
7 Likes

Very interesting point(s)!

I love the idea of collaborative novels (and would love to be involved in one). Off the top of my head, I suspect the SF field is more amenable to this approach than other fields: PKD and Zelazny co-wrote Deus Irae for example, and it managed to be BOTH Dickian and Zelazyesque… John Sladek and Tom Disch collaborated on some stuff, and then there’s Niven and Pournelle, probably many more.

4 Likes

James S.A. Corey–author of the super-popular Expanse novels–is also two people.

And Stephen King also collaborates somewhat regularly with other authors–mostly his kids these days, but also Peter Straub and Stewart O’Nan.

5 Likes

Collaborative writing violates western society’s Romantic ideals about novelistic creativity being solely an individual act

I’m over it, and have come this close to advertising for a writing partner. So far, my draft looks like this:

Serial writer of initial chapters for several Great American novels seeks a “closer.” Must provide samples from published material for review along with application. Applicants must love sci-fi, and accept pre-publication payment in food…:wink:

6 Likes

Terry Pratchett also did this a few times. Good Omens with Neil Gaiman and The Long Earth with Stephen Baxter come to mind.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.