What it's like to fly a helicopter equipped with a massive dangling chainsaw

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/25/what-its-like-to-fly-a-helic.html

5 Likes

It is normal when first piloting a Prawn suit to feel a sense of limitless power. Prawn operators receive weeks of training to counteract this phenomenon. You will have to make do with self-discipline.

Edit: in all seriousness, while helicopters compare poorly with fixed wing aircraft in terms of safety per flight hour; I suspect that it is more than a bit comforting to be distinctly not a logical path to earth when working in the proximity of big damn transmission lines; and flying at least gives you that.

1 Like

yeah, this.F_ywfJ

12 Likes

I’d love to have been there for the original thought process behind a dangling helicopter saw.

I imagine that it was something like this:

0_ZgJrV3E5I0FkHa55

10 Likes

It’s not a chainsaw, geez.

12 Likes

helicopters with chainsaws.

Need for daily commute…

11 Likes

Why does everyone insist on calling this a chainsaw? A chainsaw has saw teeth on a chain. It’s right there in the name, first five letters.

17 Likes

What it’s like to be in the path of one of these helicopters:

8 Likes

When they mention a team of dedicated mechanics maintaining the “chopper”, do they mean the helicopter or the saw? Both?

It’s a chopper with a chopper attached!

9 Likes

helicopter equipped with a massive dangling chainsaw

…and I call this installation “Toxic Masculinity”

7 Likes

Loud?

2 Likes

I came her specifically to see the comments about this not being a “chain saw”. Thank you.

5 Likes

Okay, epic cage fight: this beast in one corner, and the helicopter/saw hybrid in the other. In the middle of the ring is a pool with a massive great white with a laser stuck to it’s head.

FIGHT!

2 Likes

How about sawchain, i.e. a chain of saws?

5 Likes

Wasn’t this is in a James Bond movie?

Yes it was(ish): https://youtu.be/rF1vfMM3W08?t=135

2 Likes

Did you notice in the video, the helicopter was flying backwards? Flying backwards while dragging the spinning blades of doom!

Do you want sawcoin? This is how you get sawcoin.

2 Likes

I reserve judgement until its a flight sim add on, or at least a level one can play in a shoot&loot videogame.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.