What’s your fav way to jam?

I would definitely agree with this. Every pair of headphones I’ve ever owned has hurt my ears after an hour or two, either from pressure or just the way they sit. My boss at my first job had a pair of Sennheisers that had flat, blue-foam-covered pads, and they were the most comfortable and best-sounding headphones I remember, but googling for “blue sennheisers” has turned up nothing thus far.

That so many Grado fans are willing to put up with that ephemeral aching because the music, it’s in the music. Oh man, I feel a Roots song coming on now:

1 Like

oh, you mean music?

I use a simple stereo setup - the boxes from a small HiFi shop with an unknown content, the owner is a tinkerer and after listening to a few of his offers I chose a pair based on the sound. he couldn’t describe exactly what speakers he used to outfit an old chassis.

7 Likes

The cheapo Sony’s I posted about earlier have always been quite comfy for me and I would wear them a lot at work.

I struggle with the open-backedness of the Grados, and the cables drive me nucking futs.

The B&Ws are beautifully made and really comfortable. I like them a lot. But most of what I listen to is bluetooth and via Google music, so I’m sure I’m not getting anything like the most out of them, sound-wise. I was very tempted by the Master and Dynamics but they were (I think) another $100 for the BT version? (or more…)

2 Likes

I’m getting lost down the headphone rabbit hole. One thing I’m not clear on. If I’m streaming music at home from my phone, would it sound better to plug the headphones directly into my phone or into the AVR? I was thinking the AVR might be better since it would have a better amp.

Did anyone ever buy these?

In other news, I need to rearrange my house (and finances) to have room for a decent setup. Or at least, something that looks good :slight_smile:

I would imagine so.

1 Like

Uh, no, but now I WANT. Who wants to take my money?

2 Likes

http://joeyroth.com/ceramicspeakers/

So purrrty.

2 Likes

Damnit, I need a work related IPO stat.

2 Likes

I admit that I bought my current desktop speakers for their looks as much as their sound (which is decent if not terrific).

4 Likes

Dust on the inside of the sub would drive me crazy (Peanut gallery: Short drive!!)

3 Likes

Anyone try these?

These are my favorite headphones. I don’t have a lot to compare them to in the studio quality headphone category but I’d been pining for them since they were like $300. I picked them up when the price dropped to $200.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-professional-audio-hd-380-pro

For the bluetooth angle, I recently picked these up:

They’re nice but even the smallest size ear things are too big for my ear canals and I don’t remember bluetooth sputtering so much. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

These actually cost me a lot less than that. At $5, they were a bargain!

I use Audeze LCD3 with a redwine amp the former CEO of Audeze gave me for turning 40. He designed the Redwine with the guys there specifically for the LCD3.

Upstairs I have the Schist Lyr/Bifrost set-up with a set of Senneheiser HD600s I tube roll and play around with.

I also have a set of HD580s I adore but haven’t used since the LCD3 showed up.

I’ve blogged most of this. I have a “modmic” set up waiting to try with the Sennheisers and my Xbox One, but i’m lazy and the Skullcandy’s serve me really well for FPS team gaming.

3 Likes

Monoprice for the amp?

1 Like

They are rebranded Chinese solid state amps with a tube preamp. Somehow they sound amazing. The ‘brand’ I have is called Nobsound (yeah, I giggle). 25 watts per channel, and it’s efficient enough that I could get @monkeyoh to issue a noise complaint from California.

5 Likes

Okay. They probably rebrand it as it looks very similar

1 Like

That’s crazy talk