Cheap earbuds that outperform $1,000 alternatives

[Read the post]

I have switched to Monoprice headphones. Theyā€™re typically less than 10 bucks, excluding shipping (Iā€™ve found them as cheap as $4!) and they sound great, with especially warm mid-ranges that are great for listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

1 Like

Here is another GREAT earbud tip. I used to have the $300 Bose noise cancelling headphones - used mostly when on airplanes.

I didnā€™t want to spend the $$ on new ones - so I googled custom earbuds and came across this brilliant hack that dramatically improves the performance of any earbuds by isolating them in your ear:

Cost $10.00 for the Radian Custom earplug materials.

Cheap, custom, high quality earbuds!

1 Like

I usually chew through earbuds every few months or so because I shove them in my pocket, in my bag, etc and the cords get wrecked and frayed or the rubber pieces pop off and disappear. I just buy cheap ones periodically and have a stash. Good to know which ones might sound better.

1 Like

Shit. I just bought these. Boy, do I feel silly now?

8 Likes

I remain bewildered that people use the white earbuds supplied with iPods/iPhones. They sound appalling, and for me at least, simply fall out of my ears, even when Iā€™m sitting at my desk. How people jog with them is beyond my comprehension.

Ouch! That seems a little in ā€˜Golden Cableā€™ territory.
But their HD-25s are one of my favourite things.

1 Like

I love the ones that came with my Samsung! They donā€™t go inside the ear canal, just sort of sit outside it with a dongle bit that goes in. For me, theyā€™re perfect, I have tiny ear canals so even on the smallest squishy thingers hurt me after a while. Also it feels like Iā€™m under water. These give good sound but also let in enough ambient sound so that Iā€™m not worried walking at night.

I liked this ā€˜reviewā€™.

1 Like

3 Likes

I hate these earplug style ones that block the canal and make you feel like you have a head cold, just before you get hit by a car because you canā€™t hear a damn thing. The flat ones just fall out and sound tinny because they donā€™t sit in the right spot.

These are the best iā€™ve owned*ā€¦

They sit just perfect (not too far in, not too far out), snug without being uncomfortable. Iā€™m still using a pair but long since discontinued so once theyā€™re gone theyā€™re gone. :cry:

*Sony MDR-ED21LP for those interested.

Those look similar to the ones I posted up thread. They came with my Samsung Galaxy6. I wonder if you can buy them separately?

2 Likes

Oohā€¦yes, very very similar and your description up thread sounds just like the sony ones. Iā€™ll have to file that away for future reference when i need to replace them. Merci.

1 Like

It looks like @tomobā€™s DIY ones result in the same sort of configuration.

Yes and noā€¦ I donā€™t actually want sound cancelling, I want to be able to hear cars while Iā€™m walking.

2 Likes

I donā€™t wear the full ā€œsound cancellingā€ insets when Iā€™m walking around - mostly on airplanes or when at work in deep concentration mode. It is super easy to change out the insets and the normal earbud tips.

1 Like

Ugh. Iā€™m sure the sound quality is fine, but I canā€™t stand canalphones. They feel weird to me and I canā€™t hear ambient noises like cars about to crush me. Iā€™m actually becoming progressively more annoyed that they seem to be taking over.

3 Likes

It seems that the sound quality can be a mixed bag on these cans, per Head Fi. The same reviewer who gave an incredible glowing review for the e100 didnā€™t like the additional ā€œthank youā€ pairs sent by the manufacturer

Yes, I want you to hear the cars and not get smashed!!!

1 Like

It also appears that the E300 is sonically nothing like the E100 :unamused:
Order cancelled so Iā€™ll stick with the tried and test Soundmagic E10.