What San Francisco says about America

This was in the 60s, so I don’t believe anything sinister (though in the 50s’ there were plenty of labour camps and mines - where people were sent to be re-educated something like 30,000 perished, mainly from lack of medical care, accidents, attempts to escape etc. those would have been mostly political prisoners).

The communist gov’t at the time always found work for people to do, whether it was shoveling coal or digging ditches. And there were jobs, that didn’t exist in the west, for instance each truck driver had a guy with him who did the loading and unloading - and many jobs such as in the state run farms were just paper pushing, where no one really did all that much work. You didn’t make much money, so consequently a big thing was to steal from your work and an underground black market for anything fixing cars, tailoring clothes etc for extra to get by.

3 Likes

As I recall, the old USSR saying was “we pretend to work, they pretend to pay us”

3 Likes

Ah, the always perceptive Clay. Hadn’t seen that gem of his before. An artful colleague used a phrase to characterize such entities as a “self-licking ice cream cone.”

1 Like

Except many of the people saying “go somewhere else” CAME from somewhere else not too long ago and pushed out the people who were living there for years, due to the rising cost of rent based on gentrification of their neighborhoods. The people who are having to leave San Fransico are often people who’ve lived there for a long time. Who do you think is saying “go somewhere else”? And what about that when that means “go far away from jobs”?

11 Likes

There is some truth there, but I’d say that identity politics rests on the notion that a group has already been defined by the power structure and is embracing their identity, owning it, and using it as a way to organize politics, as a means of taking power back from the powerful. This is sort of the heart of the Foucauldian world view, I think, that power is not a tangible, thing, that is, but is a set of discourses and dynamics that are constantly in flux in teh modern world. He very much argued that creating categories of people was a means in which to control people. Creating the concept of race as we understand it helps to create inequality/power imbalances, for example. People often seek to take power back by embracing those categories and turning them on their head - being black is beautiful, or being gay is natural, etc. That’s the big debate, though - working within the system, vs. overturning it.

I think this is also a great question. Likely, whoever you are, people categorize you based on whatever characteristics you can’t control (and even some that you can control). I think at some point, we all have to stop thinking about that, and just act where we can to work it out. The problems we have as a society are not individual ones and there is only so much we can do on our own. Getting together with other weirdos to do what we can to make the world a better place, accepting others as they see themselves rather than how you see them, and trying to see through the contradictions in our society… that’s not going to change the world, but it might make your little corner of it better than you found it.

Join the club there, friend! But to be fair, I think that’s called “growing up” and we’ve all had to work through it the best way we know how. Some of us find a place to be okay with the contradictions, and some haven’t, sadly.

9 Likes

Calgary and some of the other prarie cities were notable for putting the homeless on a bus to Vancouver.

And the arrest for vagrancy reminds me of a friend who was traveling through Texas in the late 70’s and because (long hair) got picked up for vagrancy in some small town (unless you have an address in town or hotel key you fit that description) despite the $300 cash he was carrying - so he could have stayed in a hotel if he wanted.

Not surprisingly the fine for vagrancy was $300.

He got out of that town fast.

11 Likes

Yep. Here in LA, several local city governments have been caught putting obviously-unwell transients into ambulances (and all the locals think, "Oh, how nice, they’re helping that poor sick old man!) and then driving them to downtown LA’s Skid Row and dumping them on the sidewalk.

Their excuse was that, well, Skid Row is where all the homeless services are located, after all, so the guy will have a much better chance of getting the help he needs here, rather than in their scenic little seaside burg where there aren’t really any homeless services.

Back in the day, “vagrancy” (basically, “no lodgings and no visible means of support”, i.e., being homeless) was illegal, and vagrants were usually offered a choice of “get out of town or spend the night in jail.” Sometimes with a bus ticket to the nearest city, sometimes not.

In some more lenient small jurisdictions, this basically meant turning the otherwise-unused drunk tank in the local jail into a temporary shelter, because it was better to feed the guy and give him a place to sleep than worry about him robbing the locals or burgling their chicken coops. Then in the morning, off to the city limits or the bus station, and don’t come back, ya hear me?

In somewhat less lenient jurisdictions, any vagrants foolish enough to think a night in jail would beat a ticket to bigtown or a night sleeping in the woods would soon be shown the error of their ways.

If your night in jail involves a shave-and-insecticide delousing, a firehose shower, a hard metal cot and a damp, thin blanket, or any of the myriad ways a prisoner can be humiliated and abused without quite breaking the law (or sometimes just straight-up beatings and physical abuse, legality be damned) you’ll probably be less inclined to chance repeating that experience the next time you’re offered a “jail or GTFO” choice.

Ah, the Good Old Days, when white people were happy. No homeless people sleeping on the streets in our little town, nosirree bob.

(-:

(My Da spent his early adolescence in the hobo jungles of the Great Depression, until he lied about his age to get into the CCCs. But even as a respected middle-class family man in his later years, he never forgot about the “Forgotten Men”, so I’d heard many a hair-curling tale of small-town sheriffs and “mopery and gawking” busts, long before I hitchhiked my way across America as an undercover antiwar radical and collected my own ‘war stories.’)

But these days, busting people for vagrancy is unconstitutional. “Mopery and gawking” is out of fashion as a booking charge.

Town cops have to work harder today to ‘solve’ their ‘homeless problem’, so they’ve taken to having ambulance drivers provide transport direct to Skid Row.

“You don’t see homeless people sleeping on the streets” is not necessarily an indication that transients thereabouts are well-cared-for.

Could be, but I’d say our prior experiences clearly suggest it’s not a reliable assumption.

6 Likes

Ha! Yes! I’d almost forgotten…

“Well, let’s see here, the fine for vagrancy is… umm, Deputy, how much cash did you say the defendant had on his person? Fifty-seven dollars? Well then, fifty-seven dollars it is!” <bangs gavel> "Next case!

True story. (-:

4 Likes

This is such a good point that I see so few people able to hear. The nature of power dynamics must change, not just who plays the existing roles within them.

2 Likes

No, New York (and New Haven) ruined pizza, the cracker-eaters.

1 Like

Almost the only people I see writing/thinking about this who’ve moved out of group movement politics into the radical personal politics of individual liberation. (Sun Ra at the end of his life comes to mind.) There are probably other thinkers on this topic who are still involved in group movements, but I don’t know who they are. There’s a guy, Charles Eisenstein, who does some writing around this topic. Some of what he writes is a bit woo for me, but some of his other stuff is really thought-provoking.

Yeah I guess my criticism was really directed at @BdgBill but by the time I backtracked and worked that out I could only clumsily add a quote from him at the top.

In general my point is that problems like homelessness always present difficulties for government and challenges to quantify results. It makes me angry when people try to portray government expenditure on these issues as some kind of tax payer funded luxury for the homeless, it’s real talk back radio stuff.

I do take your point that because of the difficulties in quantifying results their are opportunities for misuse of funding, but I see that as a necessary evil for a problem as intractable as homelessness.

1 Like

all their lives.

Which would be, for example, me.

So, yeah, I’m pretty fucking sick and tired of people coming to California because they think it’s all beach and sunshine and technology opportunities, and then ruining it for, for example, me.

But… everybody’s got to go somewhere. And it is pretty great here, even now.

Whatever.

1 Like

Go west young man? Are you seriously living in that universe? Do you know how long ago that dream died in the US?

Whether the concern is homelessness, poverty in general, heroin, or terrorism, it’s usually the case that there is more money and a better career ladder in prolonging/expanding the problem than in finding a solution.

We really need to change that template if we expect to make a serious dent in any seemingly intractable problem.

Great. Now I’ve got TWO earworms in my head:

And the sign said “Long-haired freaky people need not apply”
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said “You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you’ll do”
So I took off my hat, I said “Imagine that. Huh! Me workin’ for you!”

-Five Man Electrical Band, Signs

Most times you can’t hear 'em talk, other times you can
All the same old clichés, is it woman, is it man?
And you always seem outnumbered, so you don’t dare make a stand

-Bob Seger, Turn the Page

1 Like

Which is precisely what I was talking about, yeah? people who have come for tech jobs and pushed out residents who can no longer afford the cost of living in the city, but who’d been there all their lives.

2 Likes

Or to put it more succinctly, “Pull up the ladder, I’m aboard.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.