What Sort of Man Reads Playboy? Ads to entice advertisers

Back in the day, Hustler magazine did a parody of those ads: “What Sort of Man Reads Hustler?” The ad featured John Holmes in all his glory (?).

1 Like

Ooooh, oooh, THAT’S ME! Wearing a seer-sucker suit, sporting a natty 'stache, and telling a stupid young guy that he should stop drinking that ironic swill he calls “beer”.

Those ladies in the back are standing by amused, because we are blocking their way to the executive washroom.

The next scene, not shown in the ad, has them telling us to “Get the f**k back to the mailroom, we have real work to do. And wiggle those saucy butt-cheeks while you do it!”

And I wiggled. Oh, how I WIGGLED!

11 Likes

In the future, the nether regions come with a built-in razor for recreational and self defense.

1 Like

Where have I seen that before?

2 Likes

Where do they even find TIME to read Playboy in between the constant barrage of hot women looking for threesomes? “Christ, woman. Can’t I keep my pants on for five minutes? This luxury-zeppelin isn’t going to fly itself.”

6 Likes

I found several things interesting about these ads. First it was interesting that up through the 60s The Man tended to look posh and dress conservatively: suit, tie, etc. As the 70s dawned he loosened up and wore hip fashions.Some of those hip fashions border on the grotesque. For example, the guy with the zippered denim shirt, the one with a shirt that looks like pyjamas and the fellow wearing what appears to be a clerical collar (or maybe this Man is a wealthy minister). It’s also interesting how many times The Man isn’t just surrounded by admiring women. He’s frequently enjoying the company of a hot girl friend while an even hotter woman lusts for him in the background The natural outcome appears in the most overtly sexual ad, the post-threesome bathroom scene. Finally, we note that to The Man age is no obstacle. The “pretty tennis partner” he’s sizing up is definitely in Lolita territory.

2 Likes

Iditarod winners? Right?

5 Likes

Well it’s pretty easy psychology behind this whole line of ads. They basically say: a male with a lot of material resources will attract many mates. It’s all wrapped in social context of the age. After all it is a magazine aimed at base instincts.

2 Likes

6 Likes

And furries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.