What the 1980s would have made of the $5 Raspberry Pi

Dammit, who put the RESTART/ERASE button so close to the “N” key?!?! I’m going to have to MASTER CONTROL this thing all over again! :frowning:

In @albill’s comment about running headless with no keyboard or monitor, I’m pretty certain he was not talking about “twenty people can use the same monitor and keyboard simultaneously.”

Rather, the Pi can be used as a server (running a webpage, for example), as a micro-controller replacement (i.e. use it like an Arduino, but with a whole OS for programming), as some combination of the two (a webpage that tells you the current temperature), or all sorts of other things, all of which are naturally “headless” — servers and Arduinos and what-not don’t use monitors.

This is an institution. Which means the RPi is being used […] as a workstation replacement.

That usage, I agree, isn’t a particularly good usage. Unless you really like tinkering with hardware, you’re better off getting a laptop. But that’s far from the typical use-case for a Pi.

1 Like

http://millennialmainframer.com/2013/12/hercules/

For those of you that have been living under a rock, the Raspberry Pi is a ARM-based computer capable of running small instances of Linux at an incredibly low price. In my case, $70 bought me the Pi circuit board, a plastic case, an SD card, and a wireless USB dongle. Because I am most interested in tinkering with the MVS/380 and VM/380 forks of public domain mainframe software from 1981, the Pi is more than sufficient for achieving levels of performance exceeding the 3081 Processor Complex of that era(Oh… Ahh. thirty-two whole megabytes of memory).

I’ll leave it as an exercise for the student to determine where the 3081 fits in relative to the 360/195…

Very much not. I use them are servers/routers, etc. or as embedded devices in projects.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.