What The Terminator's on-screen vision code really means

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/21/what-the-terminators-on-screen-vision-code-really-means.html

6 Likes

Previously on Boing Boing:

8 Likes

6502 Assembly? So, in the post-apocalyptic future, it’s the Apple II that spells mankind’s doom? I was a little confused until this meme explained it. :smiley:

apple2-funny

18 Likes

Always seems to be a lazy lack of imagination in concept to me. Why would a computer entity need to “see” any of that?

2 Likes

I always imagined that it’s debug instrumentation left in by the original programmers. Skynet’s self-modified from an original system, right? That stuff’s just an evolutionary holdover, a forgotten system requirement turned into a subconscious tic

17 Likes

Kyle Reese, “Little did we imagine that Skynet would be defeated a stack overflow.”

Kyle_Reese

16 Likes

… well, overlay effects would have been the last thing added to the movie before it went out the door, along with the end credits — it’s not like there would be some advantage to doing it all earlier and then sitting on the finished film for months :confused:

3 Likes

Sort of a cyber-appendix, then?

3 Likes

The weird thing is that the original film came out in October 1984 — just a month after that article would have hit the news stands

Probably a subscription. You’d typically receive magazines months earlier than the cover date.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s a hell of a lot cooler than the old Mouse Cursor On The Play Button video streaming they used in Jurassic Park!

ezgif-1-07e7af9706

4 Likes

So Skynet is a 6502…

Well that’s one apocalypse avoided!

3 Likes

Pretty sure everyone knows what this ment:
tumblr_mk1aeqW3871rq1zqao1_400

7 Likes
9 Likes

When I first saw the 6502 assembly in Terminator, my first thought was there’s no way an advanced robot would be using the same chip that was in my cheap home microcomputer.

Then it dawned on me that maybe he was writing the assembly code on the fly and uploading it to various microcontrollers around his body. Like, each appendage has its own microcontroller, and he’s got to continually reprogram them to do stuff like walk and fire guns.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.