What will toilets be like in the Metaverse?

Originally published at: What will toilets be like in the Metaverse? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Well, whatever VR toilets look like, let’s hope the AR toilets are in the same positions with the same general shape and functionality as the real ones.

3 Likes

Isn’t the Metaverse supposed to be our future utopia? I presume transporter technology will make it all needless.

3 Likes

No, it’s just yet more shitty VR…

16 Likes

Not only will there be toilets in Zuck’s metaverse but avatars will have to use them at least a couple of times a day. And they’ll be pay toilets.

13 Likes

You’ll pay by being spied on while you use them.

8 Likes

Perhaps Meta is planning to sell a pill cam so you and Zuck can can ride your log out to the river/sea together. Wheee!

3 Likes

Why not both? (Worst of both worlds, that is.)

3 Likes

Your boss will be knocking on the door of the stall demanding the you get back to your virtual desk.

The inside of the door will claim to be a virtual news portal, but the content will be 90% ads.

The. last stall in the bathroom will “magically” transport you back home to your own private bathroom, but your bathroom door will only transport you back to your virtual office from then on.

8 Likes

They created it first. Then they changed their name to Meta.

3 Likes

I’ll never know.

10 Likes

Have to accept the EULA first…

14 Likes

Best visual gag ever.

4 Likes

I’ve got a prediction: the entire Metaverse will be a toilet. (-‸ლ)

7 Likes

What will toilets be like in the Metaverse?

The same as now - one will be called Facebook, and one will be called Twitter.

3 Likes

download

3 Likes

Honestly if people are going to talk about metaverse they need to update their reference material past Second Life. If they want to see what is actually going on in social VR metaverse they need to look at vrchat (Or even Neos). Hell, what furry is doing there to build out community. I gotta say the bathrooms are convenient I went to the virtual furry convention Furality and no matter where I was in the con there was a bathroom the same distance away from me at all times and was available.

But there are toilets… many are just re-creations of really weird places like the liminal space of the Kansas City Memorial hall restrooms:

Most hangout apartment spaces do have showers and toilets but I expect they are used for mostly kinky shit.

1 Like

I saw this when someone posted pics about it a few years ago - after I had just been to the Memorial Hall -but apparently never to that bathroom?

I have dreams where toilets are in weird places and I wake up terribly disturbed. I like privacy.

2 Likes

If they do have toilets they should be diverse enough in design to meet all kinds of avatars’ needs.

There’s a deleted scene in Galaxy Quest where Alan Rickman’s character is introduced to the toilet facilities designed for the fictional alien species his hosts believe him to be. (I believe they dropped that scene in lieu of a similar gag where he’s served some kind of disgusting alien meal while his fellow crewmates are served delicious Earth foods).

5 Likes

I do like weird as aesthetic experiences like this:

“[Disorder playing by joy division‚ but your in a bathroom at the school dance‚ waiting for your friend to come get you because your drunk and too irresponsible․”

So a dingy school bathroom and you hear the muffled thumping of Joy division the the space. So yes, the metaverse is thriving with weird bathroom experiences.

1 Like