Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

Stop Skeletons from Fighting has three episodes of Past Mortem on Keiji Inafune and Mighty No. 9, but the second one goes the most into how he was trying change the way Capcom made games.

Morgan Webb’s comments were particularly disappointing to me because I was familiar with TechTV. Webb had moved over to X-Play after being on The Screen Savers as their consultant on anime. Here’s a video when pre-G4 X-Play was at the 2003 Tokyo Game Show; Sessler hands off to Webb with, “you know how I feel about RPGs,” but she seems genuine at the Square-Enix booth. So, I don’t know if Webb’s intro to that 2006 review was the result of the show being pushed to chase ratings after the merger with G4, Sessler’s influence, or a real change in Webb.

“spreadsheets in space” has OFFICIALLY become spreadsheets in space.

Any bets on how long until an EVE corp attacks another EVE corp with a malicious .xlsx file?

1 Like

One last bit on JRPGs for awhile, I swear. Baten Kaitos is getting a remaster collection and the comments on YouTube for it look overwhelmingly positive from more than 27 people who played it originally and newcomers alike.

Also, Super Mario RPG remake, whaaaaaaat?

I bought a Super NES Classic because I thought this would never happen.

2 Likes

Nintendo also announced Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which strikes me as a little too self-aware of the fact people have been joking for decades about the original game and all of its sequels being drug trips.

I enjoy the game’s aesthetic, but the pipe moving like an inchworm got me.

1 Like

I’m still feeling burned by New Super Mario Bros. Wii’s co-op being as much of a hindrance as a help, so if I ever end up playing this one, I’m picking a Yoshi. Donkey Kong Country Returns got it right by letting Diddy Kong get on Donkey Kong’s back.

One thing I like about the Wii version’s multiplayer over the Switch’s is that players can go into a bubble at will. Would spare me a lot of trouble playing with the kids, especially the 6 year-old, right now.

Yeah, I think I’ll have to opt for Yoshi as well. Looks like a quality of life improvement.

1 Like

Even though metrics weren’t given, we all pretty much assumed the following.

The FTC says that “in the United States, Microsoft won Generation 7 with the Xbox 360 pitted against the PlayStation 3,” but adds that “Sony won Generation 8 with the PlayStation 4.”

Nintendo is considered its own separate class these days with the Switch, but it wasn’t always. Despite that, Microsoft says, “Xbox has consistently ranked third in consoles behind PlayStation and Nintendo.” Wow!

As consumers this should mean far less to us, but it’s interesting for “console wars”-like discussion to be brought up for legal purposes.

1 Like

Aw, man. The Federal Trade Commission said the PS3 isn’t as cool? I’d better try to track down an XBox 360, those should still be in working order, right?

That’s quite the coincidence on the Games Radar by line.

Finally, the obligatory xkcd comic.

2 Likes

Well, the PS3 was a very good system, but the architecture and launch price doomed it from the beginning. Oh, and that baterang-shaped controller was an abomination never again revisited.

Sony was also in the habit of lying to their customers for a few years, there. From Sony BMG lying about the rootkits on audio CDs, Sony Online Entertainment lying about the active subscriptions of at least one of its MMORPGs, to Sony Computer Entertainment lying about their unwillingness to license force feedback. It was still shady years after they paid and put out the DualShock 3. That said, I got a PS3 after the damage was done.

Also, Sony wasn’t the only company to put out a boomerang controller around that time, but Tec Toy and Qualcomm’s Zeebo was competing in very different markets.

1 Like

Aww man. Daedalic was one of my main sources for point and click games.

It’s probably better to have Vampire Survivors on a console than to keep using touch controls on my phone. The thing that works out with playing everything all over again is that this time we get the couch co-op experience. Four players might be excessive for this…or it might be that extra kick in the pants to make this a long-lasting game.

(I’ve been describing this game as a Gauntlet bullet hell game in Castlevania clothing. They’re leaning more into the Gauntlet bit, and I strongly approve.)

2 Likes
2 Likes

First time I’ve seen a comment from an Iraqi who lived through that war about that Game Boy.

3 Likes

And of course rather than focusing on the devastation and what he went through he is corrected by someone pointing out that that the US had not yet rebranded big budget terrorism as “Shock and Awe” in 1991

2 Likes

For the Nintendo 64 video, perhaps its just a matter of exposure, but PAL slowdown didn’t come up as was noted in My Life in Gaming’s Super Mario 64 video (yet, they missed that detail about French N64s).

You also don’t hear people talking about Dual Heroes…

That was the second game featured on The Worst Fighting Game, but it was only in the “Fairly Stinky” tier.

Make no mistake, I’m not saying Dual Heroes is some diamond in the rough. It’s definitely a product of its time, but It’s still playable and has some neat mechanics.

As for Mischief Makers, it’s a really good 2.5D platformer that’s bogged down in the robot protagonist’s creator trying to grope Marina Liteyears from almost the moment you power on the game, I’m not even kidding. Nintendo Life just had a poll on N64 3D platformers, and somehow Goemon’s Great Adventure/Mystical Ninja 2 snuck into that but Mischief Makers didn’t. It’s got detailed sprite-based animation and it’s the only game I know of where grabbing a gun or a missile and shaking it is a good idea.

ETA: There was also some news last month on N64 controllers. 8BitDo opened pre-orders for a replacement PCB and rumble pak to turn an original controller wireless, with an optional replacement thumbstick which uses Hall effect sensors. Here was a video covering installation and testing which showed that the GameCube style stick is not always going to be the best. Towards the end the tester somehow arrives at the conclusion that software could fix the fact that a GameCube stick is not a recessed and longer lever with a different gate, but that was worth a watch to see the comparison against the official N64 replica controller with an N64 Bluetooth adapter.

There is Fatima Al Qadiri’s desert strike EP from a decade back. Which is about the experience of playing a video game of your country being bombed etc.

Not the game boy I know but I figure people might be interested to get a response to games and war from that perspective.

I’m not going to bother looking for it on YouTube, if you listen to music there you can find it I’m sure (as their licensing model is that you essentially have to tolerate it being there).

5 Likes

You also famously worked on A Link to the Past, Majora’s Mask… or Majura’s Mask, as it’s known here.

Yes, that was originally based on my name. I wanted to use the ‘Jura’ part because I’m a big fan of Jurassic Park. ‘Ima-Jura’… that’s where the name came from.

Link: Time to go to the Astral Observatory.

Bombers Secret Society of Justice: Uh, uh, uh! You didn’t say the magic word!

2 Likes