Whatcha playing?

It’s actually pretty good. They’ve got the main quest, faction storylines depending on which alliance your character is in (and eventually you can do the quests in opposition alliance areas) and the usual side quests. Nor is it necessary to buy stuff from the store to succeed. Once you’ve bought the basic game, you’re set (you still need the online access for you console if you are on console, but that’s consoles for you) and any real money expenditures are completely optional. No subscription required.

Sadly, though the magic / combat system isn’t what I expected from Elder Scrolls. It’s not quite as open: the class you pick at the beginning locks you into one type of magic (fire, lightning, shadow, etc.) though weapons remain open. It’s more generic MMO that way. Nor is it overly challenging: there is challenge, but I have done most quests so far while below level and been okay (except for Storm Atronachs which are brutal af) and I do NOT consider myself a hugely skilled gamer. You don’t need a whole army for most stuff, some areas (especially main quest) force you to go solo and the group areas are clearly marked.

I have the main chat channel muted entirely. Maybe if I join a guild at some point (or create one so other people can join me), I will turn the private one on.

Oh, and the Fighters and Mages guilds come with the main game (and have skill lines and questlines) Thieves and Assassins are DLC.

2 Likes

My… that looks marvelously tasty.

1 Like

Sounds better than I expected! I think I’ll give it a whirl. Normally I have no interest in online multiplayer gaming, but the multiplayer aspect of Destiny didn’t bother me (I don’t bother with PvP, and only the MMO grind ended up turning me off). Sometimes I wish I could get together some buddies to do a raid, but my gaming time is so scant and unpredictable, I simply can’t be bothered trying to play with others. I don’t even own a headset.

2 Likes

My favorite game right now is the one that got me back into gaming, Doom 2016. I stopped playing a long time ago and a few years back I got a chance to play Half Life 2, It ran fine on my old PC and it was a lot of fun but I quickly realized I was going to have to spend some money if I wanted to play newer games. When Doom was announced, I knew I had to play it so I waited for the official system requirements and quietly started upgrading an older Core 2 Duo machine which I figured might be good enough.
As I upgraded components I started playing some older games, Arkaham asylum, Tomb Raider 2013 and a few games that popped up in steam sales. Last December, with Doom half off and a new video card in my PC I finally started playing.
Doom is sooo much fun! The level design is clever and helps keep the battles interesting, there are a lot of side quests and secret areas to explore, and the way the game forces you to rush headlong into areas infested with demons is brilliant, every battle feels hard won.
The only downside is that the game is so gory that I wait for Tachin jr to go to bed before I can play.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a lot of fun too, but it is possible the buggiest game I have ever played, There are a lot of places where Lara will just fall off the map and die for no reason.

Legend of heroes: Trails in the sky is an old school jrpg. Its pretty good, except when you have to go through 15 - 20 minutes of exposition before you can continue playing. Id rather be grinding.

Mrs Tachin, Tachin jr and I will sometimes play some coop games, pacman 256 for the PC is a simple casual game which Mrs tachin doesnt seem to get tired of playing. Magicka is really fun game to play with friends with some very deep gameplay mechanics which just about anyone can pick up, its also one of the funniest games I have played in a long time.

1 Like

I believe the iOS version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a perfect port. Having played through it with glee on last-gen console, I can unreservedly shove you violently in its direction :slight_smile: if you like strategy, puzzles, and turn-based (i.e. reasonably unpressurised) thinking. So much character and accidental story-telling in that simple concept…

Thanks for the tip on that, looks really interesting. Does tachinjr play that one also, i.e. is it child-friendly? Always on the lookout for shared family fun (currently the good old Wii is the go-to machine for that: Mario Party, Wii Party and Beatles Rock Band!)

1 Like

Lifelong gamer (in fact, met my partner that way!). I have little free time currently (cough wonder why cough), but I do try to make time frequently for Guild Wars 2, which I happen to believe is the MMO to play right now. No monthly fee, you can actually progress if you only have 30 minutes (or binge for hours, your choice), no forced grouping or gear grinding, amazing story, and the “Living World” content updates every 6-8 weeks push the story forward.

Outside of that, I have the new Final Fantasy and Star Ocean still sitting shrinkwrapped, and Civ and XCOM 2 waiting in steam, still unplayed. Someday. Someday.

2 Likes

I’ve been awake this morning to see just how busy you’ve been! (Voom! “Hey! I was reading that… aw, y’know what, you’re right.”)

3 Likes

Love to hear that story some time!

See, this is what’s so great about conversations like this! I’ve heard the name Guild Wars plenty over the years but there are so many games out there, it just washes off me… now, thanks to your brief intro, I take to time to Wiki it and it sounds awesome, and I’m definitely going to remember and check it out (fingers crossed/pie in the sky/when my ship comes in/etc.). All it takes is a sentence or two of recommendation!

The modern equivalent of Rockwellian scamps in a snowy Christmas scene, noses pressed to the toyshop window :slight_smile:

My son just started messing with Civ 5 last week (got it in a Humble Bundle last year IIRC) and it’s all I can do not to get stuck in myself. But I know that leads to a hole from which I won’t emerge for weeks…

And XCOM 2? As you say, some day. Some day, XCOM 2 is going to be my personal alternative to the midlife crisis motorbike or Porsche. Cheaper, but probably more time-consuming in the long run.

2 Likes

I have been in and out of GW2 a few times. I’ve got several characters at 80, I just can’t be bothered to do endgame dungeon stuff and I get bored with trying to get 100% map completion and go off to play something else.

I’d be due to start over again, except I’m also making a lot of music so my gaming time is much more limited than it once was.

1 Like

Oh man, here I go. You’ve been warned. :wink:

Guild Wars is unbelievably, wonderfully unlike any other MMO in regards to the endgame.

For starters, levels 1-80 are really more tutorial levels than anything else. A way to get comfortable with character mechanics before you get to the “end game”.

Here’s the thing though - for a lot of MMOs, the “end game” is dungeons to get better loot and armour, Guild wars is not. With a few exceptions, the armour you get at level 80 is some of the most powerful you will wear. Dungeons can lead to better looking armour, but not better stats! Most people, nowadays, don’t run dungeons as their endgame!

There’s a few choices for what “endgame” means.

• First and foremost, there’s your personal story - a story crafted by you, that ends with an encounter with one of Tyria’s five elder dragons, Zhaitan. This is soloable all the way to the end.
  • Once this is complete, there’s the living world. Season 1 wasn’t designed to be replayable unfortunately, but Seasons 2 and 3 are, and they progress your character, and the story, forward, complete with unique weapons and armour and lead into:
  • The expansion Heart of Thorns - this opens up a whole new half of Tyria, The Mastery system (gives all your characters special abilities, like gliding, after 80), massive new dynamic content, Including, if you so wish:
  • 10 man raids. The raids do not provide more powerful loot, unlike almost every other MMO! It provides unique looking armour, so if you’re interested, you can fight there, but there is no requirement to do so to max your stats/damage/whatever.
  • If you’re not into that, there’s also the Fractals of the Mists, which are small mini-dungeons designed to be played by one group of five in about 10 minutes each. This is Guild Wars 2’s progession mode - you work your way up to harder and harder versions of the same mini dungeons for, again, better looking, not behaving, armour and weapons
  • If none of that interests you, there’s World vs World - described before as being a soldier in an RTS game: huge 100 person fights over towers and keeps with siege equipment, gates, and giant golems that runs 24x7x365, with your world pitted against other player worlds, and
  • Lastly, Structured PvP, 5-on-5 conquest player vs player combat with normalized stats

Guild Wars 2 isn’t raising the level cap beyond 80, they aren’t making you go to dungeons (or raids, or fractals) to get the best performance from your character, and Living World content is designed to be done either soloable, or in a group, your choice. Basically, you do what you want.

AFAIAA, there’s no other MMO out there where you can choose from such a wide array of tasks at the “endgame”, where you can do as much casual solo or grouped as you want and still end up with gear as powerful as hardcore raiders have. The entire world is viable because you level-adjust to the content there, but still get loot appropriate to your level, (so you can always play with your friends), and the game has been carefully designed so you never end up in the world fighting another player for resource nodes, kills, spawns, quest items, whatever (PvP areas aside, of course).

It’s not perfect, of course, but if any of those endgame modes motivate you, then it’s a heck of a lot of fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Eh. That’s an argument I’ve heard about basically every MMO ever.

I did the personal story stuff to the end once. Some of the parts of it were extremely frustrating and required luck and bug exploitation to complete, at the time. I don’t want to do raids. I don’t want to do Fractals. I don’t want to do WVW or PVP. I didn’t really hang around long enough to get into Living World stuff tbh.

I’m okay with not doing endgame stuff in MMOs. I prefer trying different things over sticking with the same character. That’s why I liked Champions Online so much – hitting the level cap (which basically exhausts all the content except for a few skippable story missions that don’t have much reward anyway) opens a new slot. I had something like 90 characters in there once that I tracked with a spreadsheet, all with completely unique appearance and mostly unique sets of powers.

1 Like

Yeah, OK. I’ll believe it when I see it on store shelves.

@Donald_Petersen: You’re making me feel a bit better about letting our own not-quite 8 sprog play Halo.

@moosemalloy: I’m occasionally still playing Fallout 4. Tried doing the two-player Portal 2 with the boy, but he doesn’t listen very well, so it’s too frustrating right now. We’ll try again in the fall. In the queue is Mad Max and a couple Lego games. I also just picked up the PS4 Atari collections. (I’ve got a 2600 in the basement, but no longer have an analog TV to plug it into.)

2 Likes

Yes, I play this with Tachin jr, though it may not be appropriate for everybody, monsters blow up leaving a red stain behind, this video will give you a good idea if you think this is appropriate for your family.

There’s a demo for it in steam if you’re interested, I played it a bit before I introduced it to the family, just to make sure it was something we’d all be comfortable with.

1 Like

Weird, that happened to us as well. I still feel bit bad about it, getting angry with the boy while we were having fun… but some of those levels required so much cooperation and we just weren’t gelling…

@Donald_Petersen - Halo is special alright (weird to be saying that about a multi-billion dollar franchise made by one of the dominant software companies in the world!) especially the first trilogy and Reach… ODST gets a lot of love and I can see why, it does some cool new narrative stuff, but for me the lonely nighttime levels got to be a big drag. One of my favourite gaming moments was when I finally played through Halo 3 a couple of years back (on dodo difficulty) and there’s a mission where you rescue Cortana from inside a crashed and infested Flood ship, I think. When you recover her, she’s weak and glitchy, but Master Chief is his usual unflappable self. It’s a dumb and obvious line, but it made me laugh affectionately when she asks “How are we going to escape?” and he replies calmly, “Well, I thought I might try shooting my way out.”

2 Likes

Sooooo much ^this. If they aren’t really listening, they aren’t really cooperating.

2 Likes

I am inordinately proud of my kids. They managed to get through the Portal 2 co-op levels when they were surprisingly young. Their cooperation was great (I don’t think they ever collaborated so well before or since), but I was also tickled to find that they seemed to have inherited my sense for spatial relationships, and Portal was exactly the right game for them.

4 Likes

Man, that was my least favorite Halo level ever. Not quite as purely difficult as The Library in the first game, but constantly being pwned by Flood-bugs inside a giant intestine really got me down. Might be the only level I’ve never replayed, and probably never will.

But you remind me of the night missions of ODST. I wanna play that one again. Delightfully atmospheric!

1 Like

Jr. likes Castle Crashers, that’s about as far as we’ve got. I think he’s a little young for Skyrim or Portal 2 yet.

Hurry up and get older! I want someone to game with!

4 Likes

Lego anything will work with nearly any kid with hands big enough to run a playstation controller. You’ll be doing all the heavy lifting for the puzzles at first, but these are still our go-to play together games.

5 Likes

Binged through the past three major Pokemon titles on the 3DS (Y, OR, and Moon) between December and January. Also went through most of the 3DS edition of Metal Gear Solid 3 around the same time and found it interesting, at least design-wise. Not sure about the story yet. I’ve seen play-throughs of the other Metal Gear titles meaning that I have an idea as to what will go on in future. On that note, I like how the relationship between Ocelot and Snake develops in this one with the former having some sort of grudging respect in ways which I won’t spoil.

I have Dwarf Fortress sitting on my Mac, but haven’t tried to play it yet. I saw a post here about it once, plus one of the streamers I watch from time to time did quite a few Sunday sessions of it as well.

[I’ll admit I spent most of my time last year catching up on my backlog, if I wasn’t working, writing, or elsewhere. Played video games since I was a kid and became a “fanboy” of a particular console in early adolescence which, thankfully, passed by quickly during high school. More interested in story, design, and criticism now than merely romping through a Mario platformer.]

1 Like