Whatcha Reading? (Picking it up again)

3 Likes

Using Libby from my local library, doing a lap of all of the audiobooks they have of Sir Terry’s Discworld.

I have the final novel in my bookcase, still unread. I cannot bring myself to read it yet as I hate for this fun universe to have an end.

6 Likes

Ain’t much to read in it, but I did git me a new pichur book:

From my second favorite cartoonist, it’s a collection of covers of imaginary comic books:

I also preordered his upcoming proper graphic novel Final Cut - can’t wait!

9 Likes

Cool! Who’s your favorite? Maybe…Chris Ware?

Not sure I have one. Those are both up there, along with Alison Bechdel, Adrian Tomine and Nick Drnaso.

4 Likes

Jim Woodring.

All those you mentioned are great too. I’m a huge Acme Novelty fan.

And don’t forget Dan Clowes and Jamie and Gilberto Hernandez!

4 Likes

Lovely… but also… wut… is happening in this image!

wut

Pantless teens in the post-apocalypse, apparently!

4 Likes

Most of those covers seem to me like satirical takes on 1950s comics and their fans-- mostly horny teenaged white boys.

I guess I’m gonna have to grow up and wear a Grey flannel suit, but what if…an apocalypse has happened, and it’s caused girls to lose half their clothes!?

5 Likes

Ah yeah, he’s great too!

No love for any lady artists? :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, totally… I just found the pantless one to be particularly funny.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of NSFW imagery, I picked randomly from the mildest ones, actually. Male and female nudity, mutations, weird gross stuff, you know, Charles Burns!

2 Likes

totally… again, I just found that one particularly funny.

2 Likes

(Sorry for the delay between my angry face and this reply but my phone ran down while I was feeding the horses and then I had to do a bunch of other shit)

Don’t even with that!

I absolutely worship Julie Doucet, I have all of Lynda Barry’s books, Becky Cloonan is amazing, Dane Darcy’s Meat Cake is a fave. Emil Ferris, Fiona Staples, Pia Guerra… I can’t recommend It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth by Zoe Thorogood highly enough…. There’s so many more. Comics is only a “boys club” if you are completely incurious and lame!

3 Likes

Could just be peach-colored yoga pants?

(I know, that’s a stretch)

6 Likes

I do read word stuff too and I’ve been reading Jude Doyle for years now, from back before they transitioned, originally for the horror movie reviews, but more and more just to read a great writer write about whatever. (If you can appreciate horror with a seriously dark feminist bent check out their comic Maw)

This new piece is stunning:

3 Likes

One I’d really really like to have is

The Collected Neil the Horse
amazOMG say:
Neil the Horse ran for fifteen issues in the 1980s. With its tagline, “Making the World Safe for Musical Comedy,” it is the world’s only musical comic book. It is a totally original hybrid influenced more by Carl Barks and Fred Astaire than by the underground comics of the time. Originally produced under the name Arn Saba, Neil the Horse’s creator transitioned to Katherine Collins after the last issue.

“Delighted at your continuing Neil the Horse efforts . . . and I’m particularly enthusiastic about your continuing probe of the medium. I welcome you as a fellow explorer.” – Will Eisner

I began collecting unconventional, mostly B&W comics in the late 80s, often spending $60/wk. I’d get those thicc twice a year buyer’s guides, and put big stars next to the titles which interested me.

Never one for the usual cape-and-tights set, I preferred Neil and co; the original DC Wasteland, a monthly horror anthology edited by John Ostrander and Del Close; Stinz, at times a delightful series about a family of “half-horses” written and illustrated by Donna Barr; Journey, written and illo’d by William Messner-Loebs, about a woodsman in the Michigan Territory around the time of War of 1812; Flaming Carrot and co; Larry Marder’s Tales of the Beanworld; Badger by Mike Baron, a neurodivergent, self-described “anarcho-zen eclectic,” martial arts expert, environmental warrior who communicates with animals, and donates to The Committee for the Eradication of Shrill and Abusive Commercials; lots of odd one-offs (like Paradax!) and limited runs; and many others, including obscurities like

Yes, his superpower is making pots, pans, dishes, silverware and cooking utensils spotlessly, sparkling clean with a thought.

#1, in which his new-found skill was discovered, is titled “New Boots and Panties!” b/c creating his iconic costume.

One fervently hopes that Dishman dines gratis anywhere he goes.

4 Likes

I mostly use it for reference, but I occasionally - like now - re-read

4 Likes

Just picked up the new edition today. I like the new artwork and the updates that I’ve noticed so far.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Listening

2 Likes

I’ve never read that before. There’s a David Foster Wallace short which seems to me obviously based on that.

1 Like