Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Just know, it’s utterly ridiculous. Just totally inane. Classic Nic Cage. And the pieces of the film fit together weirdly, and it was filmed in Cyprus…

Nicolas Cage Movie GIF by Signature Entertainment

4 Likes

nicolas cage GIF

It’s just so hard to tell from his look if it’s good-bad, or bad-bad or bad-good. Or insane and good or…

:grin:

4 Likes

I think @subextraordinaire made a prediction up thread about Mare Of Easttown that’s about to pan out.

@Tamsin_Bailey I was pleasantly surprised by The Mitchells vs. The Machines. Cute and funny throughout. My daughter was pleased with the understated representation mixed in. Kind of the Schitt’s Creek “what would it look like if it wasn’t a big deal” approach.

6 Likes

So glad I’ve forgotten that prediction!

Chewing Gum Reaction GIF

5 Likes

I wasn’t trying to be mysterious, I just hadn’t found the post when I wrote that.

This is it, if you want it:

Mare of Easttown prediction

5 Likes

That was cool, wasn’t it? It was more fun than I expected and that little touch really counted.

Actually, it wasn’t just a little touch, it was there all throughout the movie, if you know how to look :hugs:

4 Likes

It’s so rare that I find a movie that panders just to me. Five stars.

7 Likes

The Underground Railroad.

Still.

Episode 9 is just… there are a couple of episodes that offer a much welcome change of pace and there is a good five minute sequence here that is transcendent in its beauty. Of course it all goes to shit but up until then! Jenkins does that thing where the characters will just stare down the camera at you and it is incredibly effective.

1 Like

It was so frenetic I had to slow down the playback speed to follow what was going on

1 Like

I’m watching Fox Studios’ version of The War of the Worlds, which has an interesting take on the story…or should I say…interesting take on other H.G. Wells stories?

I’m not saying it’s bad. It’s interesting and compelling, but the idea is built on something completely different than the original.

3 Likes

Ah, okay, @subextraordinaire was right!

I doubt many at all could’ve predicted the killer, though. I was completely surprised.

I liked the final episode. Very humane.

4 Likes

Not exactly; it was a bit of a misdirect.

I knew something else was up when they’d ‘solved the case,’ yet there was an hour+ of screen time left.

4 Likes

Not exactly what, pray tell? He was the baby’s father.

3 Likes

But NOT the murderer, which is what I was thinking of. It was a misdirect that the two were implied to be one and the same…

2 Likes

Oh, I was definitely surprised by the ending.

I thought John Ross was father and then when his brother said she lived with him for a time, I thought I was wrong. Then when the chief saw the picture at the end of Ep. 6, I worried it was both Ross brothers who were abusing her.

I had NO clue that it was the son, although in hindsight his reaction to his sister’s school bully makes even more sense.. There was a moment when I wondered if the killer was Lori, and John and the son were covering up for her.

And just when you hate the Dylan character…

Me too, and for the very same reason! Great writing, fantastic acting.

4 Likes

You were correct about DJ’s real father, though.

Oh, I still hate the Dylan character.

Nothing about his actions over the last two eps makes any sense, but I enjoyed the rest of the series enough to overlook that flaw in the narrative.

3 Likes

I thought everybody was a little too sympathetic to the actual killer

Also there shoulda been some kinda “Previously on Mare of Easttown” reminder of what was in the attic

3 Likes

Yeah, I did wonder how a black kid in that situation would be treated.

As for the attic, I myself didn’t need a reminder. I’ll remember the earlier scene of Mare cutting her son down in the attic for a long time.

4 Likes

Right? So an asshole like that suddenly finds his heart and hands over a bunch of cash for the kid he’s had nothing but contempt for? Come on now.

4 Likes

I liked the finale and didn’t see the twist coming. Like @Melizmatic I wondered what was going to fill the hour of remaining runtime when they wrapped up the John Ross’s story line in the first ten minutes. I was hoping Dylan would go down hard, but no- they completely dropped that storyline and even made that weird effort to rehabilitate him that left me completely unsatisfied.

I had the sense that they pulled some punches - the scene in the detention facility library really lightened Dylan’s fate; if the last we had seen of him was that shot through the window off the cop car, well… it was pretty bleak. Somehow that felt more true to me than the birthday visit later on, though.

The penultimate scene between Laurie and Mare was nicely judged.

All in all, darn good.

5 Likes