Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Yes, and it is excellent. Funny, oddly touching in parts, and, I believe, possibly renewed for a second season. I can also recommend the entire first season of Cake (the anthology show it appears in, though the second was not great (the shark raping centerpiece was bad. Very bad). No idea about the third season(which Dicktown is part of) since I opted to watch Dicktown pulled out of Cake on Hulu.

1 Like
4 Likes

We just finished watching the second and third seasons of Infinity Train, which are available on HBO Max. While I was perfectly happy to have season 1 be the only installment of the story, I think the writers have done a fantastic job of picking up new threads and introducing new characters to expand upon. I highly recommend all three seasons of the show.

(And if you can view it legitimately, please do… from the sound of things, their renewal for additional seasons is contingent on the numbers they get on HBO.)

1 Like

I just started watching The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix, about chess, as a distraction from election news. It’s kind of like the latest version of Anne of Green Gables meets Enola Holmes meets Prozac Nation. Troubled orphan, super smart, with drugs and such. Pretty good so far. No icky stuff.

2 Likes

Last episode waiting for me. We loved it. I really like stuff where young people become themselves. A parent thing I suppose. It’s even better when young women are kicking arse. Da of two girls I guess.

I know that she’s troubled and all that but it still has a triumph through adversity to it and if she burns she sure did shine bright. She’s obviously got nods to Bobby Fischer in her character (so prob not end too well) but not a horrible anti-Semitic shit.

1 Like

For me, Raised by Wolves devolved from riveting to intriguing to frustrating to fuck it by the last episode. Disappointed.

Dark is amazing, but I’m afraid Pussycat has grown weary of it mid season two and so it’s yet another show I have to find time to watch alone (along with Devs and Lovecraft Country and anything with zombies or king fu fights (Korean Kingdom)).

I don’t mind, actually I prefer because she constantly interrupts “will you pause it and get me some water? Will you pause it and make some popcorn?” and insists on having the damn lights on, glaring in the screen, so she can read a book and look at her phone while watching and talking about whatever. It’s frustrating because I’m the total-immersion-no-talking-I’m-watching-this type. But I just don’t have the time!

Friction.

Anyway, for Halloween we saw Gretel and Hansel as well as Burton’s Sleepy Hallow for about the 20th time. For comedy distraction from current hell-world events we rewatched the Fight Back to School movies and Yes, God Yes.

Psyched for Possessor. Not even going to try to show it to her.

4 Likes

I’ve been watching The Feed on Amazon. It started like The Outer Limits episode “Stream of Consciousness,” but has taken a couple of turns into horror movie territory. The cast is good, but the writing needs work. I’ve reached episode 9, and the cliche of stupid decision-making has come up multiple times. Since there’s only one episode left, I will try to watch the season finale after I get my eyes to focus on the screen again. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I obviously didn’t know how many were left (two). Look, it’s a syrupy fantasy set in a world where men are kind to brilliant, beautiful women and celebrate their success and admire their brilliance without envy.

I’m kind of emotional these days so maybe I need that kind of fantasy. But if you aren’t in that kind of mood, and have your critical faculties focused, there would be a lot to hate about it.

Pseudo intellectual Hallmark.

And I’m a pseudo intellectual emotional wreck.

4 Likes

Let me know if it seems worth it, after you see the finale, please.
I watched the first episode, but wasn’t into it enough to keep going. But there’s a long winter coming up, so may give it another try.

1 Like

It’s not really worth watching at this point. I’m not sure if they are planning a second season, but I had to read two reviews/recaps to figure out WTH happened in the finale. It was vague and some major plot points were left unresolved.

Tonight, I will watch Utopia and hope for a better outcome.

2 Likes

Make sure you watch the original one, then.

2 Likes

How did I miss this?

5 Likes

I had a friend in college who drove a Hearse, but she dressed more like
Janis Joplin than a goth. :wink:

2 Likes

Wha-what? Have to watch this (looks around in bathroom for eyeliner)

Good to know; I quit watching it after the first ep. Glad my instincts were right.

Looks cute, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

It could go off the rails so easily and in so many ways (changing for a guy, for instance), but I want to give it a chance - it could be adorable if it handles things well.

1 Like

There’s a bit of a crime drama/seeing rich white guys get their legal comeuppance thread spinning off over here:

So I wanted to add some of my favorites:
Hustle - as you’d expect, a band of honorable con-people ripping off the deserving rich
Criminal Minds - a special team at…FBI I think, who get serial killers. It’s dark, but the team are all so good to each other that it’s bearable.

If anyone has any other recommendations along these lines, I’m looking for something new to delve into.

3 Likes

I remember when Hustle was in its original run. It always looked intriguing but I never managed to watch it at the time. So recently I decided I finally would. I’m two episodes in but it is so unbearably early 2000s in its habitus that I don’t know whether I can continue. I have no problem watching old TV (I’ve been watching a lot of Murder She Wrote recently) but for some reason that particular era grinds my gears.

1 Like

I’d like a show about IRS investigators taking down ultra-wealthy tax cheats. Total fantasy, I know. They have a high-tech underground headquarters. One of agents is a vampire?

Something real that would make an awesome action movie, though: those heavily armed park rangers protecting rhinos and elephants from poachers. Taste for ivory? Eat lead, mutherfucker!

5 Likes