Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

As someone who has read it once or twice a little more recently than that, I can tell you that it’s still too soon to say.

The first ep wasn’t bad, and it looks better than the previous made for tv adaptation.

Go with your own best judgment and, as with all Stephen King adaptations, keep your expectations low.

Even his best books dont necessarily translate well to the screen.

McKean deserves an Emmy for his work on BCS.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, no doubt!

Yeah, I was not too keen on that once I learned about the child trafficking…

Charles Dance plays an awesome asshole!

I guess we know how he feels about the Monarchy!

I’m pretty struck by the cycles in the British media (at least seeing it from this side and sort of expressed in the show) of the royal family either being loved or hated. It’s pretty clear that it was a love cycle up to Harry’s marriage, and now it’s on a down cycle, primarily because this past season of the show is reminding everyone how dickish they were to Diana.

I do think, overall, the show is pretty sympathetic to the Queen overall, even if the show is pretty anti-monarchic in orientation…

7 Likes

And I meant Dance as a compliment of course. Tobias Menzies is utterly, completely detestable too. His Tory face just needs a punch. He’s brilliant and a nice change from Matt Smith finding the likeability in Old Phil the Racist.

The child trafficking from the Kincora home is inextricably tied to Brexit btw. Squashing publication of the report was part of the DUP deal with Al de Pfeiffel.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, both he and Tobias Menzies are both great!

But Olivia Colman is really brilliant. She might be one of the most brilliant British actors working today, honestly.

crown-elizabeth-agree

Why am I not surprised by that in the least. Ugh. I hate the world sometimes.

3 Likes

Love her. She’s the best thing about the Night Manager (talking of John le Carré).

3 Likes

OK how awkward of a reunion would it have been if Boba Fett came back to help just as Luke Skywalker was leaving that Imperial cruiser with Baby Yoda?

LUKE: Oh… hey, man. Uh, how have you been? I don’t think I’ve seen you since… uh…
BOBA: (Takes off helmet to show horribly scarred face) The SARLAAC PIT?
LUKE: (Awkward cough) Yeah. The Sarlaac pit.

6 Likes

POST-CREDIT SEQUENCE!

Just in case anybody missed it.

And I think a clue to next season’s plot device.

4 Likes

It would be hilarious if Boba Fett was also morbidly obese the next time we saw him, seeing as how that apparently comes with the job.

3 Likes

Not until Monday, sir!!

1 Like

Boba Fatt? Boba the Hutt?

Side note: They really need to fix the security in that place.

4 Likes

((:point_up:t2:))

1 Like

The Empire could stand to put some security improvements in place too.

Q: Hey, how do I access the Top-Secret information from that Space ATM? Do I need a PIN code or something?
A: Nah, you just have to show your face.
Q: But won’t it recognize that I’m not an Imperial officer with high-level security clearance?
A: No, literally any face.
Q: The machines are fooled that easily?
A: If you think it’s easy to pull a fast one on the security terminals you should see how gullible the officers are.

5 Likes

Looks like a knock-off of The Boys?

1 Like

I mean… oh my god. I had ALL the feels watching that last episode, again it might just be the year it’s been but i got very emotional watching Din hand over little Grogu to Luke. This can’t happen, he is his space dad! Especially knowing what we know about Luke’s future failed Jedi academy it was more heartbreaking and that scene felt final but i hope it’s not. I know there have been lots of complaints about CG Luke already (or was it de-aging?) but i could look past it really because the moment you see the solo x-wing arrive you dare hope they’re doing this, then you see the green saber and his gloved artificial hand and yup, they are doing this! What a satisfying sequence to watch him at the peak of his powers.

2 Likes

Season 2 of Hilda is on Netflix, and it’s quite possibly even better than season 1.

Deerfox made me cry.

2 Likes

Watched a couple of terrible 70s movies:

How to Beat the High Cost of Living is noteable IMO mainly for seeing comedic chops occasionally triumph over lousy material. Might not be a good movie but at least the people in were talented and it looked like they were having fun making the best of it, which goes a long ways.

Thank God It’s Friday: Terri Nunn (lead singer of Berlin!) and Valerie Landsburg give fun performances, and it’s fun of course to see Jeff Goldblum and Debra Winger in such an old trite movie. It’s hilarious to see Donna Summer having to beg her way on stage at a disco, in 1978.

If nothing else (and there is very little else), I discovered an interesting disco novelty: Alec R. Costandinos & The Syncophonic Orchestra, Romeo and Juliet set to cheesy disco music. The juxtaposition of the movie with “Doth with their death bury their parents’ strife. The fearful passage of their death-marked love And the continuance of their parents’ rage” was bizarrely amusing.

2 Likes

Okay… just saw the S2 Finale.

WTF?

1 Like

I’m fine with that conclusion to the story arc as long as they don’t reveal that Kylo Ren murdered Baby Yoda ~20 years later.

1 Like

That was what my WTF was about.

If they go there

2 Likes

I can’t imagine Disney would ever let that happen to the cutest widdle cash cow this side of the Pupulon system. They’ll probably just say “oh, he was off on a field trip when that stuff happened” or something.

Though he would also make an ADORABLE member of the Knights of Ren.

1 Like