Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I recently fell into all 3 seasons (so far) of Atypical, about the family of a kid who’s on the spectrum. Good characters, nice warm escapism. I dont know though just how well it deals with autism.

Not so well, according to some:

1 Like

People also underestimate the minimum viable population size in most space travel stories.

6 Likes

I loved that series! Like you, I’m no expert on autism, so missed the things that would annoy someone who knew more, but I loved the characters and storylines.

2 Likes

Watching Yearly Departed, the comedy special on Amazon giving 2020 a proper send-off…
:rofl:

4 Likes

You would recommend? I had barely gotten started (the topic of casual sex came up, but didn’t get even one joke in) when I had to stop for life stuff. Wasn’t sure if I’d do back, but I’m in a big stand-up kick, so probably will.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely recommend it. I plan to watch it again - be sure to catch the end credits, too. I’m not a fan of Sarah Silverman, but this is probably the only performance of hers aside from ST: Voyager that made me laugh instead of cringe.

2 Likes

This was my reaction too. It was one of those movies that I call “stupid characters” movies. Where all the problems are caused by obviously bad decisions that real trained professionals in those situations would never make.

The big “twist” in the story was also so painfully predictable. It’s a cliche at this point.

For contrast, look at something like Walking Dead. The characters in that are clever, resourceful, and smart. That’s what I love about it- within the rules of the universe, they take advantage of situations to regularly do the most clever thing to survive. So much media is about characters doing stupid things and I can’t watch stuff like that.

And yah, I cringed at the same thing @KathyPartdeux mentioned. This idea that you can rebuild a species with two individuals is so painfully unscientific that it makes me crazy.

5 Likes

I ended up watching Phantom Thread. Pretty good in a lot of ways, but you never forget that you’re watching a contrived situation, nor that you’re watching Daniel Day Lewis.

4 Likes

Some SG1 and Venture Bros here. It went well with my leftover eggnog.

4 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes
3 Likes

I think it wouldn’t work as well outside a cinema. Or maybe that’s just us because now I think of it most of the rest of the cinema wasn’t laughing as hard as we were. And it was a comedy. In fact it was slapstick. DDL was sadly diverted from his true vocation as a clown to serious acting.

Perhaps the embarrassment and general squirminess wouldn’t work in the privacy of your own home?

3 Likes

Hahaha! That’s me.

10 Likes

Hmm, who did you see as embarrassed and squirming? The characters or the audience?

1 Like

The audience definitely. It was an awkward experience watching it and cringing in public.

The characters were shameless! Awful. I mean the one you like literally poisons DDL!. I assumed at the start it would be some normal thing about a horrible misogynistic controlling megalomaniac creative monster artist. But it was quite different. I also liked how the special fabric they raved about looked like somebody skinned a hideous old uncomfortable sofa from a mid century pub. Horrible.

2 Likes

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgbDvDyZ7m2GrQ4KDBlsv_kd53bP13oMk this on loop until my eyes start bleed or I have to go to work.

" The Sarlaac pit"

Surely I cannot be the only person waiting for that particular explanation.

How the actual fuck did Fett survive that, and how did Cobb end up with his armor???

1 Like

Apparently there were some Expanded Universe books that went into that storyline years ago after Boba Fett turned out to be an unexpectedly popular (and merchandisable) character in the original trilogy but I think that stuff isn’t part of the official canon anymore.

3 Likes

So…

I watched WW 1984.

It was… not good.

9 Likes