Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

He’s taking the Impala home with him; and they originally were going to cast Bruce Campbell as John Winchester.

3 Likes

As he should; “Baby” belongs with ‘Dean.’

4 Likes

THANK YOU! I had been waiting for that since the trailer came out, so long that I forgot I was waiting.

1 Like

This person is sitting on a gold mine. I would start a company immediately that sells these services to TV studios.

(Can you say TV studios? Something like Netflix isn’t really a “channel” anymore, is it?)

1 Like

I know nothing of this, but your description alone is enough to pique my interest.

1 Like

Getting close to the end of this. Ms Immutable thinks it’s hilarious because I keep shouting “what!?” and “seriously?!!” at the TV.

Imagine if NASA screened its astronauts based on a reality-TV dating show. This is the anti-“Right Stuff”; it’s “Lost in Disfunctional Space”. It’s as though the world’s space agencies got together and decided to solely recruit astronauts from characters that Gary Oldman has played in movies, or maybe Steve Buscemi. Everyone either hates each other, is blind, repressed, diseased or has had a state-disapproved affair. So not the people you’d think were plausibly selected to work together in a confined space for three years by a risk-averse government agency. It’s probably a metaphor for… Jesus, shit being fucked up, I don’t know?

Putting that aside, it’s not bad.

4 Likes

I recently turned my partner on to 3rd Rock From The Sun. It’s actually, so far, a bit better than I recalled. When it originally aired I got all the jokes, but lacked the life experiences to truly appreciate some of them. Also, wow, the things they got away with airing in prime time 25 years ago!

5 Likes

Sweet. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I did. It’s too quirky to make it in the mainstream and I fear it’s buried under other Netflix content. I’d like to see it find its audience and get a second season.

ETA:
I forgot to mention I just finished Dorohedoro on Netflix. What a crazy intense ride. It has moments of hyper violence, comedy and some heart. There are no clear heroes or villains, just multiple factions doing what they think is right and clashing or working together based on the circumstances. The lack of clear good/bad guy roles makes the opening a bit confusing figuring out who is with who but I much prefer that over the typical hero/villain hard line.

Here is the show description copied from the video:

In a city so dismal it’s known only as “the Hole,” a clan of Sorcerers have been plucking people off the streets to use as guinea pigs for atrocious “experiments” in the black arts. In a dark alley, Nikaido found Caiman, a man with a reptile head and a bad case of amnesia. To undo the spell, they’re hunting and killing the Sorcerers in the Hole, hoping that eventually they’ll kill the right one. But when En, the head Sorcerer, gets word of a lizard-man slaughtering his people, he sends a crew of “cleaners” into the Hole, igniting a war between two worlds.

Dorohedoro takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting, split in two separate dimensions; the Hole, a dismal cityscape where humans reside; and the Sorcerers’ world, home of sorcerers. Despite appearing similar, humans and sorcerers are two distinct species, the former evolving naturally, while the latter was created by a primordial devil named Chidaruma. Sorcerers are capable of entering the Hole by summoning magical doors.

2 Likes

Watched that not too long ago… it was fun!

dorohedoro-ebisu-tasty

Ebisu was kind of hilarious…

4 Likes

She was my absolute favorite character. Her antics are the perfect balance to the heavier aspects of the narrative. Zombie Ebisu, Red Dress Ebisu, she just keeps on giving. After I finished the show I had to go find a super cut of every Ebisu scene. She is the heart and soul of the show.

Shark Ebisu

2 Likes

Squee!!!

dorohedoro-ebisu-shark

3 Likes

So much squeeee!

Just for you. All the best scenes:

3 Likes

I had been waiting nervously to see how 3rd Rock tackled racism 25 years ago. I was pretty sure it was gonna be a disappointment relative to how they handled sexuality. Well, S1E7 got there, and I did not cringe. Not to say that it was perfect, or that it adequately addressed centuries of ultrafuckery, but I do feel that it was an amusing yet profound look at how modern America views ethnicity.

And I think Harry may actually have been playing that trombone.

2 Likes

Third Rock has been my jam since back when it was still on the air.

Speaking as a WOC, I think they handled the topic as well as they could for a wacky, physical comedy show; I particularly liked that they addressed the problem of representation in media and entertainment - the Solomons chose White bodies in order to pass as Earthlings, because that’s all they ever saw on the satellite signals we send out.

6 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve watched the trailer of that. Is it good?

Yes, it is, very good.

1 Like

Only halfway through the first episode. Holy shit. This is compelling and utterly terrifying. David Tennant is fucking amazing and deeply disturbing. And Daniel Mays who plays the lead detective is fantastic at conveying the horror of having to deal with a confessed serial killer.

5 Likes

Nobody who has seen the first season of Jessica Jones will be surprised by that…

Speaking of David Tennant: you have all seen Staged, right? Easily the best thing to come out of the pandemic restrictions as a creative tool

7 Likes

& @Doctor_Faustus

Someone upthread suggested Criminal, the four miniseries set made in the UK, Spain, France, and Germany. Tennant there in the UK episodes, too.

2 Likes