Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I want your pockets, LOL.

4 Likes

C’mon, we’re talking relative here. A useful HTPC for less than what many people spend monthly on their cable bill is pretty cheap.

There’s class issues there, because Nova seems deliberately obtuse sometimes, ignoring economic issue relevant to non-rich people. But it’s about Futurama. I get that.

3 Likes

So, what, couple hundred bucks or so, all in?

2 Likes

Well, in that case, I’m prepared to allow you to continue to belong with us smart people. We are a very exclusive club, you know.

Nothing about the way in which ideas can be expressed about smartness or smart people is in any way condescending. And because I’m better than everyone else, I mean, because I am a smart person I can be assured of my being right about this.

2 Likes

Not quite, but you can save a lot depending on if you have anything to scavenge. Many of us who have upgraded PC’s or laptops have at least a drive sitting around, if not memory and perhaps a power brick that would work. Board $60, 1tb drive $50, 4gb memory $30, PSU $30. So that’s $170 if you have nothing and are willing to make a wooden case like I did. Plenty of people pay Comcast that much monthly.

2 Likes

MST3K’s just dropped on Netflix. Never seen it, so I’ll be able to remedy that. Yay!

And Lucha Underground S01 and S02 are now on Netflix for the US. It starts a bit slow, but really gets good past about S01E08 or so.

4 Likes

Bingeing on Youtube episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown lately.

For those unfamiliar: they took an extremely staid and nerdy (but fun) gameshow (Countdown, known as Letters & Numbers in Oz) and replaced the normal contestants with comedians (most of whom will be familiar to watchers of QI). It works. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It makes me sad that you’ve never seen it, but I’m jealous that you get to experience it for the first time! The eps they put up on Netflix are good 'uns. Just re-watched Catalina Caper last night.

2 Likes

An update on this.

Halfway through season one, the series changes its tone a little. It seemed to drop its usage of scenes of shock gore in favor of more action scenes, and added a new gimmick: at the end of each episode, they now do a moody little sequence, usually without any character dialogue, under a music track with lyrics which are so on-the-nose to what’s gone on in the episode that it frequently strays into the realm of the twee.

I haven’t had any trouble with the show’s gore levels since the middle of season one (except for one brief surgical shot, near the start of season 2), up until just now.

I just watched an episode shortly into season two, and there’s a whole plot point that I apparently missed. In my brain, Character A was in dire peril from Character B, and we cut away to a different scene with other characters. Later we casually see Character B again, who now has a massive stab wound (but is not actually dead). Nothing is explained, although I gather that A must have somehow escaped B and then stabbed him? I guess? A is shown later on to be okay, and nothing is said about how they escaped their earlier peril.

I suspect that there must have been an on-screen fight between the two, and maybe my brain edited the whole sequence out for graphic violence? I don’t know.

So now I’m wondering, since I have this obvious spot where my brain has pretty clearly edited something out of my experience of the show; did they actually tone down the gore during the course-change I noticed back in the middle of season one the way that I thought they did? Or did they perhaps actually ramp up the gore to a level that my brain is now actively screening it out the way that it does for Game of Thrones and a few other shows?

Maybe I’ll get my flatmate to watch it and tell me. Or if somebody else knows off the top of their head (it’s s02e06), that’d work too.

My pet theory re: my brain editing things out of television episodes: The universe is a computer simulation built for entertainment, and whatever extra-dimensional entity is “playing” as me has their “parental controls” mode turned on.

4 Likes

It’s one of those shows that just passed me by for some reason.

And just finished that. So. Many. White People. Jokes. :laughing:

Next… Iron Fist. :metal: :punch:

1 Like

Sorry, but which series are you talking about now? Santa Clarita Diet? Game of Thrones? Westworld? Penny Dreadful? Something else?

2 Likes

It sounds like mewse is almost certainly talking about The Blacklist.

1 Like

Apologies; it was an update on my earlier post, which I quoted, which was about the Blacklist. Yes, I ought to have stated that explicitly.

2 Likes

The spin-off series is annoying. James Spader is the best thing about the Blacklist. He’s so much fun. I’m

1 Like

Sorry, you’re what? Giggling helplessly? Climbing the alps? Being tailed by an incongruously attractive stranger? About to go through a tunnel? Something else? ;D

7 Likes

leaving you in a lurch. Or not noticing typos.

5 Likes

Taking a break from working my way through Doctor Who:

7 Likes

About to head out of signal range?

4 Likes

coming down with gastroenteritis?

2 Likes