Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

I finished it last night…

I want to know how in the hell she got well enough to travel from the UK to I guess arizona? to have her little chat with Grieff… LIke, she was beaten with a fucking hammer, that’s at least a week or more in the hospital and then time recovering at home. You’re not heading off for international travel less than a week later.

Also… where the fuck is his wife’s head, and why will it give context as to why he killed her, and how he’s not really evil, just a regular person on a bad day. What could justify that? But also, his father in law appears to be a criminal boss of some kind, with international reach apparently.

But to his larger point that most people who murder are not “evil” but people who have a bad day? I guess the whole plot with the family and the maths tutor are supposed to show that. The vicar was not “evil” and was doing what he did to protect his family. But I also think the point was that he made the wrong choice at each and every turn. And of course, Grieff’s recorder sort of shows the other side of that… he’s clearly a psychopath who just killed people for funsies…

I don’t know… not terrible, I guess, but kind of full of weird holes.

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

And, since the tutor apparently knows Grieff and that he fucks with people just for the fun of it, why would she go to him for help? It’s been shown that she is a master manipulator, so is she playing some other game?

Lots of plot elements seem to be a setup for another season which I won’t be watching.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have not decided how much i like it or not… I still think the acting was good, and it had some elements I enjoyed… but it also left you with a bunch of questions that might not even be worth answering…

1 Like

Has to be an improvement on the film, at any rate.

Probably The Rock won´t be pleased…

Mad The Rock GIF

1 Like

At least he will be doing something he really loves

3 Likes

I went to see Wakanda Forewer with a colleague and their friends. I forgot to ask if they were going to see the OV or the dubbed version. It really didn’t cross my mind that someone would want to see this dubbed.

Of course, they did.

I had a bad feeling about this.

Shuri shouting “Wakanda über alles” is now giving me headaches, and something to think about.

9 Likes

Wakanda für immer, surely?

4 Likes

Between the MCU, the Spider-Verse, DC’s Crisis/Flashpoint story arcs, A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once and Rick and Morty (among others) I wonder if this is really the best time for Hollywood to adapt yet another Multiverse story.

Then again audiences haven’t got sick of superhero movies & TV shows yet so who knows.

3 Likes

Seriously, I can’t get it out of my mind. This cannot be an oversight. Not one Germanophone would translate the rallying cry “Wakanda forever” to “Wakanda über alles” without thinking thrice. No lowly minion could do this, either. This isn’t a lapse, I would even think they must have cleared this with Marvel Studios. In writing.

What the fuck.

12 Likes

This review of Yellowstone has made me think I should watch it after all. The fact that my MAGA relatives love it was what stopped me until now:

6 Likes

mum and i have watched it all so far. we are most assuredly not maga-types, no.
gotta say, this is really good. i first heard it described as “redneck Succession” but let me dispell that notion. the surface similarities don’t last more than a few episodes as the audience is drawn in to the deeper stories and conflicts between characters and within themselves.
the prequel side-stories are also very good. 1883 was definitely not a maga-style rewrite of some grand and noble manifest destiny.
i heartily recommend these if you like some western drama that is not totally celebratory of the tired, racist portrayals of the mythical “rugged cowboy” trope. it is far more nuanced and complicated than that.

but then, i love Kevin Costner even at his worst (and he’s done some real stinkers!)

4 Likes

This is adorkable!

10 Likes

That was fabulous.

Yoink!

8 Likes

I love how she invites people on just so she can gush about how much she adores them to their faces… She’s done that with basically all her guests since she’s been having them… She also loves to play games with them, which is always fun.

8 Likes

I am thoroughly enjoying The White Lotus. That is some really tight writing that they have.

2 Likes
1 Like

My wife and I just finished Wednesday last night. We considered it a bit more Veronica Mars-ish, right down to accusing the wrong people until she gets it right. Veronica Mars was also Buffy-ish, but I find Wednesday more comparable to VM due to both being whodunnits – unfair, but still enjoyable, ones at that.

We’re hoping for a second season.

2 Likes

I’ve finally gotten around to watching The Detectorists after seeing about it here on BoingBoing.

It makes me want to get back into a hobby that I haven’t touched for over 20 years. I’ve even started looking up the laws here in Japan and looking at basic detectors for under 10,000 Yen (around 80 dollars).

5 Likes

You’re just in time for a new Christmas special episode.

5 Likes