Whatever happened to Ambrose Bierce?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/23/whatever-happened-to-ambrose-bierce.html

7 Likes

Obviously, it was aliens.

6 Likes

Just as mysterious is the case of wealthy Toronto theatre tycoon Ambrose Small, who disappeared in 1919 and was never heard from again. The event led paranormal researcher Charles Fort to wonder if someone was collecting Ambroses.

12 Likes

Everybody knows Ambrose Bierce quietly slipped away to live a community of powerful mystics on Mount Shasta.
(Robert Heinlein, “Lost Legacy”, 1941)

6 Likes

I used to love “The Devil’s Dictionary,” great reading while briefly occupying a certain room (before my phone became the reading device for that room).

12 Likes

Someone been watching The History Guy on YouTube?

3 Likes

They were collected by Benjamin Bathurst.

3 Likes

Sierra Mojada or the ancient and famous city of Carcosa?

4 Likes

He walked around the horses to find Judge Crater waiting with the rest.

4 Likes

He fell in love with a beautiful Scottish lassie and stayed in Brigadoon.

3 Likes

loved his “A Horseman In The Sky.”

he was stationed here for the battle of Atlanta. one front was over in Inman Park, but the plaque is in Midtown not far away, I guess a “siege line” is a front? neither neighborhood was extant then.

it’s in the middle of the residential part east of Peachtree between the park and Ponce.

2 Likes

“Perhaps the only instance of literary attainment deriving therefrom in the campaign for Atlanta”

I’m going to chose to read that as a dig against Gone With the Wind :laughing:

5 Likes

If so it’s well deserved.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.