What's at the audiophile convention?

If the room is the most important thing, and the speakers are being demonstrated in a cramped hotel room…

1 Like

Cramped hotel room? Not really. Some are cramped booths. Some are huge. Some are mid-sized conference rooms. And in any case, knowing how to set up yhe room matters more than the room itself.

Also, it is like the Van Halen m&m test. If a company cares enough to set up the room well, they probably also put that level of effort into the hardware design.

1 Like

Really? I rather think that irreverantly making fun of audiophile BS is classic Boing Boing.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/10/01/james-randi-calls-ou.html

3 Likes

Yes, and the family of the USB cable sellers is thankful that they can eat for a month.

1 Like

I love music, electronic sound, get the best that I can afford out of every component, and drool for new gear. My new bass amp is 2x as my last computer rig, even though computers/internet/games have been a much longer hobby.

Still, I can also laugh at over-the-top hype and absurdly overpriced goods.

If you are passionate about audio then write about what excites you about this convention. Did you go? Is there something that stole the show? PREACH IT.

But don’t expect all of us to ignore the woo.

5 Likes

“The ANJOU Speaker Cable utilizes the finest materials to maximize sonic performance and provide years of stable operation. Teflon, air, cotton, and fully annealed 99.999% pure oxygen free Copper are the 4 fundamental materials utilized in the cable.”

Dude, they use air!

1 Like

Of course they use air. Oxygen Free Copper isn’t going to oxidize itself.

4 Likes

Aww, the amusing JavaScript in http://boingboing.net/2012/12/06/audiophile.html is broken. How sad.

No no no! Boiling removes all of the vitamins.

You need to sautee it for 16.5 minutes in a 13-inch pan over a methane-gas heat stirring gently with a nylon spoon throughout (do NOT use a metallic spoon, or any sort of spatula as you’ll kill all of the umami notes). You could try a double-boiler for 23 to 25 minutes if you’re into that sort of thing, but I think it usually tastes of bad oaking. If you’re only planning on eating pop music you could even stoop to microwaving it, but you should still you a convection microwave if you have shred of self-respect (and if you don’t, Cheez-Whizz will cover up some of that).

2 Likes

It’s weird. I started buying decent headphones and audio equipment recently and I felt the smugness begin, despite not being aware it was a stereotype, as though it’s a disease you catch by owning decent equipment. You have been forewarned!

1 Like

I think I see the advantage of having tin ears…

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a certain smugness in knowing that some boutique gear is so much more awesome than what’s sold on the mass market.

You can get a pretty similar kind of smugness with hacked/salvaged/homemade gear, for fraction of the cost. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Please don’t give me ideas haha

1 Like

I’m not the sort of person you might trust around power tools, so hand made is right out. But neither do I have the budget, really. Still, I have heard a wonderful pair of electrostatics (Martin Logans, maybe) that redefined the whole concept of “soundstage”, so I know what’s possible.

(I use B&W bookshelves in my living room, inexpensive Klipsch bookshelves in my bedroom. And I have Grado headphones which my ipad can’t seem to drive properly)

1 Like

I listen in mono to avoid stereotype.

5 Likes

See also: http://www.firstsounds.org/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.