What's good in Tennessee?

My family hails from Nashville. All of the trips I’ve made have been either with my family, and/or visiting family – I think I’ve hit a bar perhaps twice in all of the dozens of trips that I’ve made there. I have, however, been well-fed there.

I don’t get back that often these days (e.g. no grandparents to visit anymore), but one of my absolute favorites is pulled pork barbecue, almost always from Whitt’s, but possibly Bar-B-Cutie (both are chains with stores throughout town). Burr’s was great, but they’re a bit out of the city (there’s one in Mt. Juliet, and one in Lebanon). I was well into adulthood before I learned that pulled pork is generally associated with the Carolinas; I’d figured it was something unique to Tennessee if not Nashville. Although I grew up in Texas, where the brisket is abundant, the first barbecue that I enjoyed was pulled pork.

Also a ways out of town, in Smyrna, is Omni Hut. I liked the food but the main reason for visiting is its (now) old tiki theme.

I greatly enjoyed Ellendale’s (in Donelson; just north of the airport) last couple of times I was there. I also liked Noshville (@noahdjango helped me remember the name of it in another thread, but evidently the Broadway location has closed).

I can’t personally vouch, because I haven’t been yet, but my parents rave about a place called Swett’s. A friend of ours eats there every day.

I’ve read that the largest Kurdish population outside of West Asia resides in Nashville. I’m guessing that there are some excellent kebob places there, but I haven’t tried one.

6 Likes