What's in Patti Smith's bag?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Patti Smith is a role model for kids and adults. Her memoir Just Kids is as wonderful as her method of packing a bag.

1 Like

Damn.

Here I thought it would be full of Horses.

Whatā€™s the status on her use of the word ā€œniggerā€ in her lyrics? Does she get a pass? I mean I like the song, but the word is what it is.

Same with Yoko for that matter.

People are such exhibitionists. There is no way they will demand laws guarding their privacy.

1 Like

Isnā€™t zero tolerance as counterproductive and annoying in policing schools as in policing language?

1 Like

As much as I hate that word, I think context is important here, as well as the fact that itā€™s from the 1970s. Lots of white artists used that word in the past: Bob Dylan, Rickie Lee Jones, Elvis Costello. Times are different now though and I canā€™t imagine any respectable white artist using that word.

1 Like

Context. Context. This was the '70s, when that wordā€™s controversy was at its height, and she was deliberately using it to shock and to redefine it as meaning ā€˜outsiderā€™.

Patti Smith is a poet whose words use music, not just a rocker using random shocking words who needs a ā€œpassā€.

3 Likes

This is a side issue which most likely didnā€™t need to be broached in this particular thread, but Iā€™ve just gotta say that if youā€™re referring to Dylanā€™s song ā€œHurricaneā€ and Costelloā€™s drunken outburst, ummm, gee, do you really think they should be compared? The attitudes behind them seem rather dissimilar.

No idea about RLJ and donā€™t feel inclined to google.

ETA: Oops, should have googled Costello instead. Completely forgot about ā€œOliverā€™s Army.ā€ Never mind.

Lol. Yes, I was referring to ā€œOliverā€™s Army.ā€ Not familiar with Elvisā€™ drunken outburst but now Iā€™m curious. Turns out I was wrong about RLJ though. I Googled it and apparently that was a misheard lyric.

1 Like

Iā€™d still like to know why she put ā€œFree Wayne Kramerā€ on the liner notes of ā€œRadio Free Ethiopiaā€ and then dissed Mr. Kramer when he came to thank her for it, as told in an interview with Mr. Kramer that was published in the book ā€œPlease Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punkā€.

See, Iā€™m from Detroitā€¦I went through all that teenage angst and wanting to be in love with dead poets and artists and musicians, same as she did (albeit in a different era, but teenage girls are teenage girls all the world round); Iā€™m simply not impressed. But then again, Iā€™ve been told Iā€™m a tough crowdā€¦shrug

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.