What's new in tabletop gaming for August, 2023

Originally published at: What's new in tabletop gaming for August, 2023 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Seeing “The Game Master’s Book of Astonishing Random Tables” reminded me that there’s a Humble Bundle going on for tabletop RPG resources. It currently has 19 days to go.

4 Likes

I got my Kickstarted copy of the Old Gods of Appalachia tabletop RPG in the mail last week. It looks fantastic, and I will almost certainly love reading it and never actually play it. Which is fine

3 Likes

I was ready to be mad about this Blade Runner game, since Cyberpunk is the One True Cyberpunk RPG. But…

…that sounds really cool. I like that they have a fresh angle on gameplay, and it’s not just another cyberpunk setting for players to run around in with mechanical arms, spiky hair, and microwave guns.

5 Likes

So either there are no new board games this month, or this article should be titled, “What’s new in tabletop RPGs” since that’s all that’s in here.

I am only rarely a Kickstarter guy, but the Dolmenwood TTRPG piqued my interest. It’s a dark fairytale RPG that lists as it’s influences:

Books
:arrow_forward: The Charwoman’s Shadow—
Lord Dunsany
:arrow_forward: The Fellowship of the Ring (Book 1)—J.R.R Tolkien
:arrow_forward: Goblin Market—Christina Rossetti
:arrow_forward: Gormenghast—Mervyn Peake
:arrow_forward: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell—Susanna Clarke
:arrow_forward: The King of Elfland’s Daughter—Lord Dunsany
:arrow_forward: Krabat—Ottfried Preußler
:arrow_forward: The Ladies of Grace Adieu—Susanna Clarke
:arrow_forward: Lud-in-the-Mist—Hope Mirrlees
:arrow_forward: Lyonesse trilogy—Jack Vance
:arrow_forward: Mio My Son—Astrid Lindgren
:arrow_forward: On Fairy-Stories—J.R.R Tolkien
:arrow_forward: Smith of Wootton Major—J.R.R. Tolkien
:arrow_forward: Stardust—Neil Gaiman
:arrow_forward: The White People—Arthur Machen
Films
:arrow_forward: The Green Knight—David Lowery
:arrow_forward: Labyrinth—Jim Henson
:arrow_forward: Legend—Ridley Scott
:arrow_forward: Princess Mononoke—Hayao Miyazaki
:arrow_forward: Spirited Away—Hayao Miyazaki
:arrow_forward: The Wicker Man—Robin Hardy
Television Series
:arrow_forward: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell—BBC series
:arrow_forward: Over the Garden Wall—Patrick McHale
:arrow_forward: Twin Peaks—Mark Frost and David Lynch

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing that, too.

1 Like

Why be like that? Gareth wrote a nice article that the rest of us enjoyed.

1 Like

My response could have been better worded; the article was fine, it was the title that rubbed me the wrong way. I’ve had too many people in the tabletop RPG world look down on board gamers, I get salty when “tabletop games” is assumed to only be RPGs. Sorry.

Thank you.

And it’s not all RPGs. There’s a miniature skirmish game, a solo mini game, and a newsletter that covers all types of gaming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.