Tabletop gamer's gift guide for 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/05/tabletop-gamers-gift-guide-for-2020.html

3 Likes

This is, unfortunately, a bad year for tabletop gaming.

This spring I brought home my collection of board games on loan to my local Makerspace, and eventually moved them into storage. I have a game I bought in March sitting on the stack, still in its shrink-wrap. There are no social events to play games at anymore. All my gaming is online.

I have no idea when that will change. It makes thinking about tabletop gaming gifts difficult and depressing.

5 Likes

Great list! I really appreciated you getting me hooked on 1000 Year Old Vampire earlier this year, playing it was such a strong experience. I can’t wait to play again (planning a game this weekend).

TYOV, Escape The Dark Sector, and Gates are probably my top 3 games of the year. We started it off expecting to play Dune with our friends every other weekend, and that obviously fell through due to COVID. It’s been great to find some other games to help fill that space.

3 Likes

I hear ya. We picked up the Princess Bride game (don’t laugh, it’s got great reviews and I don’t care!), but otherwise I haven’t gotten our usual one game for each person in the house (which is a great way to diversify what you’re playing).

I was going to pick up Holding On: The Troubled Life of Billy Kerr last year and decided to wait until this year. Now it just seems too grim and on the nose.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that - for us it’s been the opposite. Having the family together for lockdown over the summer means we played a lot more than we would normally.

Best acquisition this year: wooden organizer with player trays for Terraforming Mars.

Because we play TM more often than all our other games put together…

5 Likes

Playing a game of Terraforming Mars with my son right now. Love the game! Though, it does lose a little shine when I play against the same person all the time.

I’ve seen these before and it is tempting…

Our Christmas game purchase is Eldrich Horror.

I’ve heard good things and since it is collaborative, my daughter will be enticed to play. I bought it from my local gaming store. It was a few extra $$$ than on Amazon, but I don’t want them to shut down.

3 Likes

Having tweenage kids helps. Old enough to play complex games, but not too old that they don’t want to hangout with you. I’m guessing i have another year or two.

2 Likes

Maybe, but I’ve still been sinking bucks into stuff I want to play with friends once this all blows over. The biggest portion of my gaming budget though is going towards stuff I can play either online with friends (TTRPGS) or kiddo at home.

1 Like

Nothing says, “Christmas!” quite like a sinister scratching on the windowpane at night.

2 Likes

This list seems great, but that picnic spread sitting next to the Village Green cards looks AMAZING.

2 Likes

Yes. Apparently, the Elder Gods love a warm, snuggly Christmas Eve.

1 Like

4 of the games from this year’s list. Normally we like to play games with our friends, but this year has been limited to games for just one or two players. Still had plenty of fun stuff to choose from though.

2 Likes

The makers of Terraforming Mars have finally admitted the original player boards are shite, and now offers these updated boards.

2 Likes

Ooo! How’s Sector? I’ve been wondering (I’m digging the black and white art!).

The art is the main selling point for sure. ESTDS is the follow up game to Escape The Dark Dungeon. I prefer Dark Sector for its theme and its small improvements over the original Dark Dungeon rules. It’s very quick to understand the rules and usually runs under two hours per game. My wife and I like playing it during quarantine because it’s just the perfect amount of casual play and easy set up that we like. I don’t know if that’s helpful, but basically it’s our go to game for when we just want to have fun and not stress out about getting confused by rules and things.
The art is spectacular though, I’m even wearing my Escape the Dark Sector shirt right now.

1 Like

Damn, now I’m tempted to get it! Thanks for your review!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.