What's new in tabletop gaming (Halloween edition)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/whats-new-in-tabletop-gaming-5.html

4 Likes

I picked up Jaws a few months ago and it is totally worth it. It’s a fantastic game.

1 Like

Does it feature Mayor Larry Vaughn and his horrible jacket?

That looks like some vintage gear that J Crew would sell now!

1 Like

Jaws was created by the guys over at FilmWise (Who were instrumental in the creation of SceneIt). Just a little fyi.

http://filmwise.com/main/index.shtml

1 Like

I was considering Miskatonic University until I saw this review on Amazon: “On the other side, after the three rounds the cards are de-laminating. Yep, simple play by three adults not being at all rough and the deck is coming apart. I think we can get another six to ten rounds out of them till they are trash. And the book-box it comes in is also coming apart due to very thin paper used for the wrap that can’t withstand much use, and a magnet holding it closed that requires some effort to open, causing stress on the corners of the hinging paper.”

1 Like

Jaws is great on all fronts, and we’re having our first playthrough of Horrified tomorrow night. If there’s enough time, we might throw down some Werewolf afterwards. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

I’m sure this Jaws game will be a lot better than the first one.

jawsgame

7 Likes

Oof. So much better. They nailed every part of it. It looks like it came out of a dusty closet circa 1976 - colors, pieces, typefaces and all - but the gameplay is modern and dynamic. I thought I’d like being the shark, but controlling the humans is a fun time, too. It’s also the rare 4P game that’s good at 2P.

5 Likes

Would love to hear what you think of Horrified.

Who has two thumbs and sculpted all of the Horrified monsters and a bunch of the Villainous figures?

4 Likes

Aw. I liked that game.

Though I was five, I think, and preferred to play with it in other ways, like feeding it action figures (chiefly Micronauts) and playing with the small plastic mouth detritus it came with.

4 Likes

I backed Sandy Petersen’s 5e Cthulhu Mythos Kickstarter and also got the first campaign in that milieu, Ghoul Island. It is almost too good.

2 Likes

Abomination was good but two hours is an optimistic estimate of play time. If there’s only two players who know the game through-and-through and do absolutely nothing but focus on the game I could see it being done in ~1-2 hours. I’ve played it twice; it took four and a half hours with four new players, and almost three hours with three players.

2 Likes

The first playthrough was interesting, if a bit underwhelming. We played on the easiest difficulty, with only 2 monsters, and being experienced board gamers, we found it to be a little easy. Once we understood the way the monsters moved and attacked, and the importance of villagers, we were able to avoid the monsters getting many Terror points. But we’ll definitely play again; I like the aesthetics of the game, and though I don’t expect it to replace our other favorite co-op games, like Pandemic or The Captain Is Dead, the theme is more than enough to get us to throw it down at least a few more times. I anticipate raising the difficulty level will let the game shine better in our group.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a pretty good assessment. I have been doing more game nights recently with friends who are non- or casual gamers. I’ve been interested in finding games that are engaging enough to interest me and other gamer friends, but also enjoyable for these more casual gamers. We have played Betrayal at Baldur’s Gate several times and that seemed to stretch the interest of some people. So I’ve been looking for something a little lighter than that and think I’ve found it in Horrified.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.