What's the hardest wood of them all?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/22/whats-the-hardest-wood-of-th.html

5 Likes

Morning wood?

52 Likes

Dammit.

You beat me to it.

30 Likes

24 Likes

Steady on…

31 Likes

I made up a wood in my fantasy campaign called Mythril Wood. It’s a wood that is basically a metal. It has a very spongy network work and acts like a skeleton where the rest of the typical wood stuff (cellulose, etc) resides. So I told them to imagine something like titanium in function. Light but resilient . Or like Mythril in a fantasy sense, even though technically it isn’t the same metal.

They look like normal trees as the metallic part is covered in the “live” part of the plant (much like how the core wood of a tree is for structures, and the bit on the outside is what moves water and nutrients around.) But when the tree dies, that part will rot off and expose the core Mythril wood. From there it is shaped through grinding and cutting, leading to very organic looking armor and weapons, typically (But not always.), and usually has a wood pattern as part of the look. The dwarves and elves are the only two with the knowledge and expertise to do this well.

15 Likes

21 Likes

10 Likes

What’s the Janka of petrified wood?

Is there a list of 10 most stackable woods, based on the Jenga test?

4 Likes

I heard somewhere along the way as a kid that telephone poles were made of that #1 hardest wood.

After a bit of googling I have found that I was woefully misled.

Thanks for ending even more childhood delusions, BoingBoing!

3 Likes

Jesus Wood.

jesuswood

9 Likes

open-uri20150422-20810-10n7ovy_9b42e613

16 Likes

What wood Jesus do?

12 Likes

Ed Wood Jesus do?

9 Likes

Thread over in comment 1. Damned fine work!

17 Likes

Sporting wood?

3 Likes

So, Unobtainium is actually… wood?

5 Likes

7 Likes

Duh! Elijah Wood.

5 Likes

45’s head.

3 Likes