What's your ikigai, your reason to get up in the morning?

Why say that? Being a successful restaurateur is probably more likely than if he wanted to be an actor or ball player.

As for getting up, there’s not much that comes from me. I can’t even motivate myself to get up early to fish, and I love fishing.

2 Likes

I don’t know, accepting that you have to eat and that even busywork is valuable if it feeds your family is sort of liberating.
I understand the ways in which work participating in the economy is alienating, but that does not diminish the value that your work produces for you, yours and society as we know it.

One of our three pokes me in the side with his pointy little toes while emitting a high pitched whine. He’s so lucky I like him.

As for this post, it resonates with me. I’ll have to look into it further. Based on the (non)Venn diagram, I would place myself in the “comfortable but bored & empty” segment. And the “comfortable” part has only been in the last year as I’ve paid off my debts without adding new ones.

It’s not that the job/career that I do to make money also needs to be the single thing that makes me happy; it’s that it makes me so depressed that I can’t often find ways to be happy in the time between when I’m working at the job that’s making me unhappy and sleeping.

Obviously I need a new job. But I’ve also been doing this line of work for over 21 years, and am 50. So… I have no idea what I should do.

Just walk away?

1 Like

Zach Weinersmith / SMBC Comics

4 Likes

Guess I even failed at being a nerd.

Hahaha, he drew that card before having children, right? Because it should get pretty shaky somewhere in the 30-50 range before returning to it’s upwards slope.

1 Like

I never let my kids interfere with my love of doing wacky electronics. They show up as preschoolers in the pirate radio documentary that I’m featured in. And my younger son’s leukemia redirected my efforts to doing more good for the world.

3 Likes

I meant life satisfaction generally. Long term sleep deprivation and life satisfaction don’t go well together for me.

donut

3 Likes

That’s kind of a cross between a Venn Diagram and a Euler Diagram.

Hmm, I just put together some diagrams for my own life, yet in all of them, none of the circles overlap. I guess I’m going back to bed.

2 Likes

The cats howling for breakfast at the bedroom door are why I get up at ohmygawdthat’searly o’clock [throws pillow out door at cats].

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.