When a black woman becomes a white man online

4 Likes

Interesting.

As straight white male I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever read anything positive said about people like me. Everybody else yes , people like me , no. (With side note , pretty sure Iā€™m the only legally discriminated minority here)

Canā€™t help wondering , if we tell girls that girls are bad at math it turns out that girls think they are bad at math. How will it turn out if we keep telling people that they are monsters based on their race and genitalsā€¦

I am certain you have read tons of positive things about straight white males - presidents, Nobel prize winners, war heroes, movie stars, and so on. Itā€™s just because of how this stuff works, you may have overlooked just how much was all about people like you.

16 Likes

Hereā€™s a fun game:

1. Do a Google image search for ā€œAmerican History Book.ā€
  2. When you see a straight white male, take a drink.
  3. Die of alcohol poisoning without ever having to scroll past the first few results.
17 Likes

If you canā€™t hear the echoes between that and ā€œCan you prove your experience is widespreadā€ and ā€œYouā€™re arguing with opinions not fact,ā€ and slightly more distant echoes to other common responses on that car card, then I guess Iā€™m just wasting my time by interacting with you.

It works with British history books too, although it might take a little longer to die.

You can speed it up by having a drink everytime someone is English though.

2 Likes

Mister44 & Aloisius,

If you have yet to acknowledge your own ā€œunconscious biasā€ and likely tendencies toward ā€œingroup favoritism,ā€ let alone those of most men and most white people, then Iā€™m not surprised that you find my ā€œnear 100%ā€ assertions outlandish. To paraphrase Chomsky, many truths are so widely unknown that hearing them strikes most people like hearing news from Neptune.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/05/21/3440209/discrimination-favoritism/

4 Likes

Oh for Christ Sake. First @sargemisfit and now this. Did this post get link to from White Mens Rights or something?

Not that this

helped the discussion either.

What a stupid thread. My mistake for thinking BB readers would be better than this. Signing off.

3 Likes

And itā€™s not just ā€œold timey stuff that happened back in the old days before we got rid of racism and sexismā€ either. See: Wired Magazine for a contemporary example.

2 Likes

Why yes, of course. I was just observing the other day how appalling it is the number of states arguing vehemently to continue their practice of preventing straight white males from marrying.

12 Likes

See, thereā€™s always something two people can agree on! But remember, any white supremacist or ā€œmenā€™s rightsā€ advocate could present your bingo card with the same effect. It works for anyone who is more interested in baselessly judging strangers than in a constructive exchange of facts.

2 Likes

Not even close.

5 Likes

If you want to point out humans have an unconscious bias and tend to favor groups they are similar to, Iā€™ll go along with that.

Of course that isnā€™t at all how you phrased it by singling out one group.

I also see a big difference between ā€œunconscious biasā€ and misogyny and racism. I realize other people have a different threshold of tolerance and will claim either at the slightest infraction, but I donā€™t think trying to lump people who make ā€œharmlessā€ discriminatory decisions in with those who threaten to rape random people on Twitter furthers any cause and only hardens otherwise reasonable people to your point.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t there an old saying?

ā€œThe Internet: Where men are men, women are also men, and children are FBI agents.ā€

5 Likes

Yeah well, since we live in a de facto white supremacist, heterosexist, and so on patriarchy, itā€™s the unconscious biases that those in majority categories have about those in minority categories that in almost all ways actually matter.

Harmless in what way? I imagine you know what microaggressions are, and maybe as well the costs for those who endure them of endless, nearly uncountable examples? And why did you put the word harmless in quotation marks?

4 Likes

Just a small correction to your stats.

Iā€™m white and male, but neither misogynistic or racist.

So, I guess, ā€˜near 99.9999999999999%ā€™.

Unless, of course, Iā€™m not the only white male who doesnā€™t have those traits. You would have to ask around.

It would, I suspect, be eye opening to try this the other way around.

As a white, male, Iā€™ve not really pointed that out, as such, in posts (beyond the two posts on the this here forum.) Of course, it may be possible to determine that fact anyway, from things I write, Iā€™m not sure.

The ā€˜eye openingā€™ bit would be to try posting as a female. With an indication (avatar or whatever) one is female rather than pretending to be. Likewise coloured or both of the above. I suspect it would usefully educational for me, but I might feel a bit creepy doing it.

I hope that for the sake of the women and non-white people you encounter, you come to know yourself better.

Weā€™re soaking in racism and sexism. thereā€™s no way we can avoid absorbing at least some of it, no matter how non-racist and non-sexist we like to think we are.

4 Likes

What ever is going on in this thread, it certainly canā€™t be good for the white man.*

* your interpretation of this comment determines everything

you, sir or madam, are talking out of your arse.

1 Like