When a man came home, a stranger opened the door. His ID — and house — had been stolen

Yeah. I’m surprised that I’m still surprised by this behavior, but the fact that Mr.Hall was connected with the appropriate investigators by the BBC and not the police really gets me riled up.
Like, could they not have done that one, human, decent thing and at least made sure the guy knew who to talk to about what must be an extremely stressful and scary situation?!?
ACAB.

2 Likes

Breaking and entering and trespassing, even if you mistakenly believe you’re the owner, is still breaking and entering and trespassing.

Yes an No, in this case yes, as the land registry is a very special case, in all other cases no, stolen propriety is taken back and returned, but the land registry is backed by the government and if your home is stolen, the other person legally owns it, but the land registry will pay you the value of it so you are not out of pocket.

I am sure it some bank thing to stop them losing money and not really to protect ordinary people.

3 Likes

Nearly had this happen up in Chattanooga. Dad’s ex-wife and daughter advertised my house in the Sunday paper through a real estate agency. Someone I knew in ad department let me know it was coming. One call to the realtor and it was stopped but the agency never admitted culpability.

Same ex-wife had a neighbor move in who was a business broker. They decided to market the house and take earnest money dependent upon finding the “lost” warranty deed. Earned them some petty cash until Ms. Demeanor tried it with a relative of my dad who was an agent and who put a stop to it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.